Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil Leak behind harmonic balancer

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
That mechanic is probably still trying to find the seal he forgot to install last time.

scbh81

VRUUUM XU6 180 SC
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV XU6 VTII 99
Any good news after you went back on Monday.
Yes very good actually. The best mechanic I've ever come across. He replaced the faulty seal for me with no fuss. Even wrote a report for me to take back the old faulty seal so I could get a refund for it. Legend! Very rare to find such a genuine no BS mechanics these these days. Definitely recommend him and he seems to know commodores really well. Custom Auto Tuning Cheltenham on Reserve Rd.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Yes very good actually. The best mechanic I've ever come across. He replaced the faulty seal for me with no fuss. Even wrote a report for me to take back the old faulty seal so I could get a refund for it. Legend! Very rare to find such a genuine no BS mechanics these these days. Definitely recommend him and he seems to know commodores really well. Custom Auto Tuning Cheltenham on Reserve Rd.
Good to hear.

fxxxrr

Reaction score
Members Ride
WL statesman FX holden EH holden
good to know theres still good customer service out there

zoenryan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 , VZ Wagon V6, VE Saloon V6 LPG, VX V6
That's the way it should be - The art of growing a successful enterprise t is repeat buisness from satisfied customers.

olm8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS equipe wagon
What sealant do you apply to the key way channel?

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I don't normally put any sealant in the channel but if you are worried about leaks put whatever you have that won't get dissolved by oil. Silastic maybe.

olm8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS equipe wagon
Cool. Thanks. I had CAS replaced 2 months ago, drove to Alice Springs from Adelaide, half way here started burning oil. Obviously leaking from directly behind the harmonic balancer. Obvs the mechanic didnt replace the seal or it failed. Considering it traveled 700km on a 45 degree day with the leak - is there anything else apart from the seal which is leaking? I had a seal airfreighted up, and will have to borrow tools to do it.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Probably never replaced it, he only replaced the CAS so yeah the seal is rooted. I've herd 2 sides to the key way some say don't need to some say you should, wont hurt putting a dob of rtv high temp in the key way just to be sure near where the seal sits.

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Also wipe some good old fashioned grease into the lips of the new seal. That helps the harmonic balancer slide in without tearing the new seal, and lubes it up until oil flows through it.