Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

oil leaK do additives help?

blake0182

Blake
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT executive
i have a vt commodore v6 and it is leaking oil from the main seal , has nulon engine stop leak or stp stop leak or any other products anyone else has used worked for them?

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Might work for 30 seconds. Best bet is to have the seal replaced.

J

jc58nc

Yes the additives can work, I used to work in an automotive parts store where they sold SuperX products, the additive for engine oil leaks contains chemicals that soften the oil seals which go hard after a while and won't close the gaps.
My son had a Nissan Navara with an auto, it leaked from it's seals and were quoted at $2k for an overhaul repair. After using the SuperX Auto Stop Leak no more oil leaks and it lasted for years until he traded it in on another car.
So as I said it can work and work well, but depends how bad.

shumway

Son of satan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 6/71 blown and injected 355 V6
as minx said replace the seal and fix it properly first go,instead of trying additive that most probably wont work

blake0182

Blake
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT executive
as minx said replace the seal and fix it properly first go,instead of trying additive that most probably wont work

it is gonna cost like 600 just to fix an oil leak tho

Gothevu

Off the chain
Reaction score
Members Ride
VU S2 Ute - 5 sp manual
how bad is it leaking blake

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Is it the front or the rear main seal which is leaking? If it's the front seal then it shouldn't cost too much because it is not difficult to change, but the rear seal is a different story.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Yes the additives can work, I used to work in an automotive parts store where they sold SuperX products, the additive for engine oil leaks contains chemicals that soften the oil seals which go hard after a while and won't close the gaps.
My son had a Nissan Navara with an auto, it leaked from it's seals and were quoted at $2k for an overhaul repair. After using the SuperX Auto Stop Leak no more oil leaks and it lasted for years until he traded it in on another car.
So as I said it can work and work well, but depends how bad.

Any additive that actually works IS NOT good for your engine, if it can fix a leaking seal imagine what its "fixing" in the valve area etc.

J

jc58nc

Any additive that actually works IS NOT good for your engine, if it can fix a leaking seal imagine what its "fixing" in the valve area etc.
How is it NOT GOOD for the engine?
Seals are plastic and go hard after a period of time with the heat.
A Stop Leak product softens the seals so the inner spring can then close the gap and the seal can function properly again.
Valves are metal, so what effect will it have on them? Please explain?