Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil leak

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
For our VX birthday we wanted to surprise her with a new starter motor and so to get the right one I took some pictures and on the picture attached I see there's a slight oil leak.
Just wondering where the oil would be coming from and is it anything to be concerned about, the VX acclaim has done 260,000 ks and only uses 1/4 litre over 2,000 klms towing the camper trailer.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Going to be either rocker cover gasket or inlet manifold by the looks of it.

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
Won't be the rocker cover gaskets, they were replaced a year ago.
Inlet manifold you say, is that the thing between the heads and is it worth replacing if the vehicles done 260,000 or would I be better off removing the engine and replacing all the gaskets, seals, rings and bearings.

VTS5

TechJunkie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE OMEGA 3.6L Dual Fuel
Going by that pic your engine is pretty clean,don't pull it out yet,just wash the effected area and wait for the fresh leak then act accordingly ...

meady_183

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Berlina
Could still be rocker cover gaskets, they are notorious for failure.

LIM gasket as Sabbath rightly suggested could also be the case. When the gasket fails though it often not only leaks externally but also into the cooling system, so check the radiator, particularly the cap for sludge. If so replace lim because it's easy and check around rocker covers for weeping/leaks.

Pulling out the motor and replacing all gaskets would be excellent, yes, but overkill. At the end of the day it's an ecotec v6, which are a dime a dozen. Drive it till it drops (which could be a long way off yet) and then replace it with a low km motor out of a newer model, and replace all gaskets on that before dropping it in if you feel that way inclined.

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
Sounds like good advise and yes she's clean, we like to keep her that way and if something needs doing we just do it.
On the weekend I'll jack it up on stands and degrease the whole underside and then give it a month, we are going on a mountain biking holidays in 3 weeks to Darwin so that'll be a good run to show the leaks.
This week I'll get the rocker cover gaskets replaced and that way if the oil mark reappears then at least I'll know its more.
Should we ever need to replace the engine how modern can we go with the V6 engines to just install and connect up the wiring.

Last edited:

monkey

Donating Member
Reaction score
3.8l ecotecs ran from VS to VY series 2. VZ got the 3.6l alloytec.

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
Alrighty then so its up to the VY model, is that what your saying.

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
This is a picture of the oil leak from the back of the left rocker cover before it was cleaned and a new rocker cover seal fitted.

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
Were back from our long trip and no further oil leaks so the rocker seal had to be the cause but 12 months from a new seal just isn't good enough and a genuine Holden seal to.