Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil level

brydencooper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 II Wagon
Just did an oil change in my car, drained the oil out, filled up 6.7 Litres (what the manual says). Now the dipstick is reading higher but I’m not 100% sure how much as it is difficult to read.
Should I be concerned?

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Yea it's about 6 litres from memory or a little more.
The manuals all either have dry fill or a number that is wrong.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
6.7L is closer to the amount required for a V8 with a filter change.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Owners Manual says "6.7 L approximately (including filter)". Maybe you didn't drain all of the old oil out.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
If it’s only over by a little bit it’s not going to cause any issues.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
If it’s only over by a little bit it’s not going to cause any issues.

Yes it can.
If too much oil is in the sump, the crank will kick up too much oil smothering the cylinders, causing the oil rings and seal rings to glide over it like hydroplaning.
This can lead to bore glazing.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Yes it can.
If too much oil is in the sump, the crank will kick up too much oil smothering the cylinders, causing the oil rings and seal rings to glide over it like hydroplaning.
This can lead to bore glazing.
What part of ”a little bit” don’t you understand? If it’s only over by a few millimetres on the dipstick it’s going to do nothing as oil slosh when cornering/braking will have been factored into the equation to leave sufficient clearance from the oil to the crank.

If you punting it around a track constantly maybe there’s a case to be had against overfilling it a little bit but in my lifetime of normal driving I’ve over overfilled my oil “a little bit” plenty of times and it’s done nothing untoward.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
What part of ”a little bit” don’t you understand? If it’s only over by a few millimetres on the dipstick it’s going to do nothing as oil slosh when cornering/braking will have been factored into the equation to leave sufficient clearance from the oil to the crank.

If you punting it around a track constantly maybe there’s a case to be had against overfilling it a little bit but in my lifetime of normal driving I’ve over overfilled my oil “a little bit” plenty of times and it’s done nothing untoward.

Where did the OP mention how far up the dipstick the level was?

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo

So anecdotally we're meant to accept your experience as fact that everyone's car will be the same?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I’ve always dropped about 6.5-ish litres in the VZs.

If it sits a few mm over the full, it’s all good. If it sits a cm or more over the full, that’s not good.

Just drop a bit out the sump if there’s too much for what you’re comfortable with. Even a bit below the full mark is fine.

Don’t stress.