Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

oil pressure issue

vombil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 UTE
hi guys I have a VB with 253 and it's got elec oil pressure gauge. The pressure sits at 22 when idling but when you accelerate (stationary) to 2-2,500 rpm it goes down to 12. it does not seem to go any lower if you spike it to 3k. I'm pretty sure I have a burnt valve but I don't want to pull the heads if I have a bunch of other issues. I'll just grab another second hand engine if the dramas start stacking up. I've read online that a volt drop could cause an issue with gauge. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. thanks

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
You have 2 problems... unrelated …... oil pressure and a possible burned valve ?
I would be getting access to a mechanical pressure gauge to check against the electrical reading.
Electrical issues, well, not much too baffling can go wrong with a 253 of that vintage.
Burned valve, have you replaced the valves and fitted hardened seats for unleaded petrol. Pulling the heads off is something anyone with basic skills can achieve. If only current cars were that simple. And, second hand engines still reliable and not in the 'need a rebuild' condition.