Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

(over)lowering = worse handling.

Verynice

Band
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Caprice 5L
I didn't realise everyone was taking every corner like a racecar.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
low cars can handle you just have to correct the geometry

change rack hight
change rack length
change steering arm fulcrum
change lower arm length
change upper mount location
correct scrub radius
correct sai
correct castor

and this would be just the start

one more thing to add to the list
check suspension travel, because doesn't matter how good the rest of the setup is, if you have no or little suspension travel, the car will bounce over bumps rather than absorb them

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
my method:
if you want to get the HANDLING GOOD on your car
fit cheese cutter tyres and pump em up to 40 psi then go for a drive
then show me your handling (which is suspension work to balance over and under steer)
thats my trick when doing my own wheel alignments after coilovers for street and track cars(rare for me but)....
basically you set it up so the threshold for oversteer or understeer is reduced to its minimum
then you fit good tyres wide and then the car is on rails.

honestly i am a bit sick of this common misconception that good tyres mean better handling
better tyres means more grip (higher co-efficient to break traction between tyre tread and road).
you can put the best tyres on a car with worn out suspension and it will still handle poorly.....

VR028

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII SS
mate any v8 would get me on the straights but how many straights are around town well not many where i live

did it ever occur to you that people dont race in towns or city's around corners? maybe thats why u think your winning

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
www.devildrake.deviantart.com
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
Haha this is a funny thread.

TBH, I got SLs on my car, and no matter what height i had, it had nothing to do with performance what's so ever.

I will admit, SL's do help with no body roll though, but when you get air bags or something on it's ass it's a different story.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
what i find funny is when some one oposses the vilidity of a v8 drivers claim to supremecy they get shut down by the many v8 owners out there

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
not to mention the handeling advantage of a lighter engine

so a cast iron v6 is lighter than an alloy v8? im not too sure of the specs but id say they would be close, if not the v6 would be heavier? but i could be wrong?

its funny to see people whinge about breaking half shafts yet they have stupidly low springs in the back, just have a look under your car at the angle they are on and you will see why they break

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
so a cast iron v6 is lighter than an alloy v8? im not too sure of the specs but id say they would be close, if not the v6 would be heavier? but i could be wrong?

its funny to see people whinge about breaking half shafts yet they have stupidly low springs in the back, just have a look under your car at the angle they are on and you will see why they break

ok maby newer v8s have a good weight but my v6 is still lighter and in my age group the 8's are much heavier

oh and btw i have a live rear so i can have it dropped a bit more

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Something tells me the power of a V8 makes up for the heaviness. Not to mention things upgraded to suit.

VR028

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII SS
not to mention the irs a car of similar age would have. im a bit confused, your saying your v6 live axle barge is faster than an irs v8 with fe2 of a similar year because u have good suspension? i dont think so mate..