Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

(over)lowering = worse handling.

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
I put superlows on my Statesman to stop getting seasick when I went around corners. I dont know if it "handles" better as in more grip, but it definitely sits flatter in the corners and has a better feel on the road which gives you more confidence to push it a bit harder. When I had an alignment done I got told my numbers came out pretty good and if I went down a spring size it would be impossible to get a good alignment done and the handling would suffer. But as it sits now the handling is pretty good for what the car is

FusionX

Reaction score
This thread provided a good laugh to my Tuesday morning at what some people claim.

To put it simply, an older v6 with solid axle rear end can be quicker then a newer V8 with IRS through 3 different things: setup, weight and driver ability (there can be other variation, but they are the 3 biggest). Go to any race track on a tuning day and you'll see this.

edit: I should say it doesn't happen frequently, but you do occasionally get someone that knows how to setup a car and able to drive it that will be quicker then more capable cars.

Last edited:

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
my car is lowerd and i bet it would beat yours

i keep up with v8's around town in a stock v6 with good suspension

edit: i only use 15"s aswell

edit2: as 15's is all i need 17's would see even better handeling

Haha had to sig this comment hey.
I feel my ultra lows in my VY handle awsomely! its pretty much a gokart on steroids, you get use to the rough ride.

But yeah, v8 boys would have just been chilling mate.

GEN3RATD

100% Teflon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo
and the end of the day its a commodore, a family sedan, cant compete with an 32GTR.

*hides from abuse*

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
so a cast iron v6 is lighter than an alloy v8? im not too sure of the specs but id say they would be close, if not the v6 would be heavier? but i could be wrong?

its funny to see people whinge about breaking half shafts yet they have stupidly low springs in the back, just have a look under your car at the angle they are on and you will see why they break

the LS1 and V6 (Ecotec) are very similar in weight, enough so that Holden used the same front springs on both

some_guy

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SII Exec.
Yeah, It sometimes annoys me how every boy racer thinks his stock family sedan will post a lap record/ fast quatermile.

GEN3RATD

100% Teflon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo
So?

A commodore is a family sedan, not a race car. So get SSSL's and fk the haters, its never going to be the epitome of performance handling. Just like the people that hate on bags, get a 32 if you want a car that handles.

some_guy

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SII Exec.
So?

A commodore is a family sedan, not a race car. So get SSSL's and fk the haters, its never going to be the epitome of performance handling. Just like the people that hate on bags, get a 32 if you want a car that handles.

Thats what some people need to understand though. if you are going to lower your car to the extreme, dont expect it to handle like a race car.

GEN3RATD

100% Teflon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo
Yeah but even if you don't, even if you get coilovers etc, it's not going to compete against an EVO.