Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

OZTRACK, Anyone used them for a SSV, or SS?

dmacey

Somebody, make me upset
Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Series II Sedan Manual & a VK in the build
all standard equipment such as carburettors, exhaust systems, exhaust gas recirculating valves, oxygen sensors and catalytic convertors relating to noise and emission control are retained and operate correctly).

Although it says "all standard equipment" any replacement parts you install need only comply with ADR's and EPA requirements.

Gravity

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY11 SSV Wagon
Right, but if you do not replace the MAF (ie. MAFless), you have not replaced all the standard equipment. Therefore, it's no longer a 'minor modification' which you can do yourself, but ... crazy as it sounds... one that requires a certifying engineer.

I'm pretty sure I'm reading the RTA document correctly.

I wonder how much an engineer would charge to certify a MAFless setup. I might email a few.

Gravity

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY11 SSV Wagon
I spoke to a NSW certifying engineer today about MAFless.

He confirmed that removing the MAF means you can no longer say with certainty that the car meets emission standards. When the car rolls out of the factory, it's build to comply with the environmental standards. The HSV would be too, even if it's MAFless. The manufacturer makes sure it complies.

So, if you remove the MAF, and want to be RTA compliant, you should have an engineer certify the modification. He'd require you get an emissions test, which is provided free by the RTA in two locations in Sydney. The test results are given to him, and he verifies stuff then produces an engineering certificate to say it's not broken any other design regulations, which finally makes the car fully roadworthy.

His certificate would cost about $700.

So, not that most people care, but since I wanted to know the actual situation by law I looked into it. There you go.

TraidMarc

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.traidmarc.com
Members Ride
VE Series II SS-V Redline Sportswagon A6 Phantom
Right, but if you do not replace the MAF (ie. MAFless), you have not replaced all the standard equipment. Therefore, it's no longer a 'minor modification' which you can do yourself, but ... crazy as it sounds... one that requires a certifying engineer.

I'm pretty sure I'm reading the RTA document correctly.

I wonder how much an engineer would charge to certify a MAFless setup. I might email a few.

I have the Maf in place but it is tuned MAFLESS, ie it uses manifold pressure on the tune, but the maf is still there, and in fact it still uses the maff temp sensor. So it would be legal.

dmacey

Somebody, make me upset
Reaction score
Members Ride
Time to see the doctors out at OzTrack tunning.

Gravity

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY11 SSV Wagon
I found this thread when researching tuners, so wanted to put a little comment in.

I went and had my VE Series 2 SS tune done today by Steve at Oztrack (to accompany my MAFless Duspeed) and wanted people to know I'm really happy with the service and results. Much more power, fantastic note now from the induction plus we managed to tune her and keep AFM enabled for my highway driving. (I have stock exhaust, so no problem with drone.)

I could really feel the difference under hard acceleration.

His tune definitely made a difference, he's a nice mature bloke and has been doing tunes for years. He's actually trained in science, which is a good background for tuning, since he can apply the scientific method to get better results.

dmacey

Somebody, make me upset
Reaction score
Members Ride
Glad to here you happy with the result mate, Steve knows his stuff!

Keeps us updated on the progress of the car