Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

OZTRACK, Anyone used them for a SSV, or SS?

dmacey

Somebody, make me upset
Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Series II Sedan Manual & a VK in the build
We should have a sound off next time I'm down the harbour. Hope it all goes smoothly!

Gravity

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY11 SSV Wagon
What's so frustrating about MAF vs MAFless is I can't find any legal /conclusive statement on whether MAFless breaches EPA, or roadworthiness in NSW. I hear mixed stories from people.
Steve from Oztrack (Sydney) tells me his local Holden dealer will even fit a DuSpeed OTR CAI on new cars, which is a pretty strong implication that it's roadworthy!
However, many people here have said in NSW that CAI are not roadworthy.

I can't find legislation to answer the question authoritatively. Very frustrating.

If my wife is driving the car, with kids in the back, and gets pulled over (for say RBT) I don't want her dealing with any issues about unlawfulness on the roadside. That'd be a disaster. I'd like to be sure before doing the mod.

Buckd1ch

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 SV6 A6
Unless your driving like an absolute dick. The police wont even pop your bonnet. Mafless is illegal. My ss was stolen.and recovered which had a ziggy OTR and a mafless tune. The insurance company did an engine compression test and everything. They obviously didnt even notice/know what mafless was. The car was written off due to the assholes not knowing how to drive manual and the gearbox **** itsself. But.they did pay me out for the write.off and.the car.was far too loud and mafless and not one word was spoken about the legality of my mods. This was with shannons.

Gravity

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY11 SSV Wagon
Shannons do seem like a good insurer. They quoted me about $1700 for a new VE SSV, though, so I don't know about their value-for-money.

However whilst you say they're illegal, don't you find it odd that a new Holden dealer would fit them and supply with a new Commodore? It kind of implies they are legal.

dmacey

Somebody, make me upset
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cuban cigar syndrome, illegal to use but legal to buy. Same goes for tints, a load of people have darker than legal, so again. legal to purchase but the law states illegal to use.

scottssv10

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv ute
ssv utes have ss on the side as well as ss on the tacho..been tryin to find large ssv badges to put on the side of mine to replace the existing ss ones but can only find the small rear(tailgate)ones..

dmacey

Somebody, make me upset
Reaction score
Members Ride
I know, same here. I was told the utes had them but they don't. Might need a custom job.

I saw a thread with a guy making SV6, SS & SSV key rings. Maybe he can bang out a few side badges for a cost. ill see if i can find the thread and PM him.

TraidMarc

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.traidmarc.com
Members Ride
VE Series II SS-V Redline Sportswagon A6 Phantom
What's so frustrating about MAF vs MAFless is I can't find any legal /conclusive statement on whether MAFless breaches EPA, or roadworthiness in NSW. I hear mixed stories from people.
Steve from Oztrack (Sydney) tells me his local Holden dealer will even fit a DuSpeed OTR CAI on new cars, which is a pretty strong implication that it's roadworthy!
However, many people here have said in NSW that CAI are not roadworthy.

I can't find legislation to answer the question authoritatively. Very frustrating.

If my wife is driving the car, with kids in the back, and gets pulled over (for say RBT) I don't want her dealing with any issues about unlawfulness on the roadside. That'd be a disaster. I'd like to be sure before doing the mod.

How often have you been asked to pop the hood during an RBT?
How aften have you even been asked to pop the hood at all?
The issue is not the police but perhaps what your insurer says I would think, but then youd have to wrap it round a pole to really find out.......My dealer had no problems with me going Mafless.
If your driving an WRX with a 4 inch canon and a buzz az loud as the one in your head on the morning after the grand final, plus they heard the thing sneeze from around the corner, yes they will make you pop the hood.

Gravity

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY11 SSV Wagon
Obviously there's a difference between (a) accepting there's a risk of being noticed as not roadworthy, even though it's minimal as you say, and (b) eliminating the risk altogether by being legal.

I've done some more googling found where the RTA sort of says MAFless is no go, if you agree that MAFless is part of the carburettor/emissions/oxygen system: page two of this RTA document.

You're allowed minor changes, but with this caveat.
Examples of minor (owner certified) modifications are:
␣ Engine changes where the capacity increase is less than 15% above the maximum size engine available for the vehicle (providing no major structural modifications are necessary and where noise and/or exhaust emission ADRs apply, all standard equipment such as carburettors, exhaust systems, exhaust gas recirculating valves, oxygen sensors and catalytic convertors relating to noise and emission control are retained and operate correctly).

That settles it for me, at least :).