Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

OZtrack Tuning ( mail order ) Yay or Nay

Cava454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS, VZ SS
Who oztrack couldnt get ur tune right? cant a preformance shop/mob unlock it , thats bs if there is noway to unlock it

Yeah oztrack.

I was going to get a mate to tune it for me so we can learn. Now we either fork out of software to erase it and start blank or I get a new PCM.

Either way it's crap.

Brenno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6.0L MY09.5 A6
Now what your saying sucks.. But Steve has a really good reputation so I'm sure there is a side to this story we aren't getting..

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
Yeah oztrack.

I was going to get a mate to tune it for me so we can learn. Now we either fork out of software to erase it and start blank or I get a new PCM.

Either way it's crap.

Ohh ok that sucks man sorry to hear, but as brenno said ive had really good exp with Steve, he always gets my tune spot on with no problems

DLFHUB666

GIT 'EERRR DONE!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, PX Ford Ranger XLS Dual cab
Yeah oztrack.

Either way it's crap.

This makes no sense. If your friend can tune it he has the software to easre it and start again. And im sure if you asked steve he would do the same for free as well.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Yeah oztrack.

Either way it's crap.

So just to be clear the OP was talking about email tunes... so I gather you had an AutoCal on loan to upload the email tune from OzTrack, drove the car for a while, weren't happy despite several .efi file logs you provided as part of the mail order tune process and OzTrack's respective tune file revisions and ECU recalibrations?
Personally I would've sorted it out before I sent the handheld unit back. How long did you run with the tune before you sent the AutoCal back?
It seems reasonable to ask OzTrack a) to revert the tune and delete other files via AutoCal (you will probably need to put a refundable deposit up for device loan), or b) arrange to have the to stock tune reflashed to the car at the Sydney workshop for free, or c) negotiate an arrangement to communicate exactly what the issue is and customise the tune to address it on the dyno.
The tune file is not locked onto the 'PCM', can always be reflashed. The .ctz file provided by the tuner (OzTrack) specific to your ECU is indeed locked. It's like copyright.
If you want to modify your tune yourself then email tunes are not the way to go, and that setup has its own pros and cons including costing a hell of a lot more.
In several dealings with tuners I am required to provide ECU 'reads' - logfiles - to participate in the email tune process - it's very interactive actually, sometimes you have to report about a dozen logfiles back via email before the feedback / communication of (my) layman terms meets detailed engine tuning and what's being reported in the log files.
But yep, it's worth it.

Cava454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS, VZ SS
So just to be clear the OP was talking about email tunes... so I gather you had an AutoCal on loan to upload the email tune from OzTrack, drove the car for a while, weren't happy despite several .efi file logs you provided as part of the mail order tune process and OzTrack's respective tune file revisions and ECU recalibrations?
Personally I would've sorted it out before I sent the handheld unit back. How long did you run with the tune before you sent the AutoCal back?
It seems reasonable to ask OzTrack a) to revert the tune and delete other files via AutoCal (you will probably need to put a refundable deposit up for device loan), or b) arrange to have the to stock tune reflashed to the car at the Sydney workshop for free, or c) negotiate an arrangement to communicate exactly what the issue is and customise the tune to address it on the dyno.
The tune file is not locked onto the 'PCM', can always be reflashed. The .ctz file provided by the tuner (OzTrack) specific to your ECU is indeed locked. It's like copyright.
If you want to modify your tune yourself then email tunes are not the way to go, and that setup has its own pros and cons including costing a hell of a lot more.
In several dealings with tuners I am required to provide ECU 'reads' - logfiles - to participate in the email tune process - it's very interactive actually, sometimes you have to report about a dozen logfiles back via email before the feedback / communication of (my) layman terms meets detailed engine tuning and what's being reported in the log files.
But yep, it's worth it.

Mine was a email tune with no autocal. But for simple bolt ons like exhaust and Otr. Under load the engine pings.

When I called him back he wanted additional $300 to buy the autocal so I could log it and fix it. With an hourly rate on top. Which I think is unreasonable since I paid for the service to start with.
(if I install a hot water service and it leaks cause of my error, I don't charge the client to go back and fix it...)

I'm in another state so can't just roll up to his shop.

The tune file can only be reflagged by oztrack, unless he decides to give me his liscense number to access and fix it.

For my mate to tune it we would need to remove the memcal, put it under a uv eraser and then burn the stock program back on. We don have a uv eraser or a burner.

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
Ohhh i didnt know you could do that, email tune without the autocal, i paid the 300 for the autocal and went that way, how would he know what to change/fix without being able to see the info/logs of it all ect?

DLFHUB666

GIT 'EERRR DONE!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
For my mate to tune it we would need to remove the memcal, put it under a uv eraser and then burn the stock program back on. We don have a uv eraser or a burner.

What model car is this for? because that is not the right procedure for reflashing ls1/2s.

Cava454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS, VZ SS
It's a vz mate.

Wogboyz, wanna lend me ur autocal? So I can at least stop it from pinging.

I paid $1250 for Otr and mafless tune. Now he sells same thing with autocal for $1300... Go figure

DLFHUB666

GIT 'EERRR DONE!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
It's a vz mate.

Ok so you have an ls engine. Now in your other post you said something about having to remove your memcal and getting a uv burner/eraser so your mate can retune it. This is BS all you need (if using Efilive) is the Efilive program which is FREE from the web site and the v2 hand unit which is the part that cost money.