Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

P plates: whats the point?

R0d

Reaction score
Members Ride
cammed vu maloo r8
i get the feeling what i say next will cause a argumeant but im gonna say it anyway, P-Plates are needed, maybe not for 2 years but certinately for a short while, dont you remember when you first drove on p plates you were a little too exicted and did some really stupid stuff. The p plates are there to show others that you have finished your l's and getting use to someone not being there. As for the people who say they are targeted by police (like being followed for a while) are just being paranoid. Sure cops pull over p platers but its just to check up on them because other p plate are being idiots giving others bad names.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
I'm also on my p's and I regularly drive a very loud n low blown v8 calais. I've never had problems with the police, been pulled over once for an rbt police officer was polite and courteous, wished me a nice day. Maybe some p platers need to look at their driving style, and where they are driving, a lot of the time they are getting hassled because they are loitering rather than just using their cars as transport. They are just doing their job, if you aren't doing anything wrong you do have anything to worry about :)

i could not have said that better myself.

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
my idea would be that it shows other road users that you are inexperienced. yeah, police seem to target them, but is that because they carry on more about it or not? ive been pulled over as many times now as when i had my p's and that is stuff all. maybe a couple of times a year and i do alot of k's for to and from work.
i share a bad 100km stretch of road with many many many p-platers travelling back and forth from trade-school at about the same hours as me adn if i had a single dollar for everytime i had been overtaken by one ina dangerous manner in a hurry to get nowhere my petrol would be paid for. maybe thats why they are targeted. blame the ********s who make the majority look bad.

Shifty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
EF Almost Turbo
P Plates don't always attract cops. I haven't been bothered while displaying them. Mind you, I ALWAYS get called in for a RBT when they are setup on the road, even if its full. Even when driving a worked VK Calais with an overloud exhaust.

Mind you I did a test once.. went past in dad's VN S (stock) with P Plates.. got flagged in.. then went past 15 minutes later without P Plates.. go waved past(with no-one in the cue).. so dodgy..

GLD-086

Reaction score
I've been on P Plates for 3 years (On green Ps) and never once have been pulled over, but my brother on the other hand has been on his Red Ps, for about 3 months and been pulled over 3 times in the last month. (Once driving my car)

I don't know, maybe some people are paranoid? There's no doubt when I do drive past a RBT, I will get pulled in. (I have driven past cops before though). My car isn't a stocker either it has 18 inch wheels, 5 inch tacho, chrome drop tip, dark tint etc.

Mabye it some cases, wearing P Plates is like weraing a really big purple hat?

It sucks, but unfortunately the minority of ********s are to blame and man it's going to suck, being a P Plater 5 years from now.

veclubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Clubsport
i think its only in wa and nt that p-platers arent limited to 100

here in sa l-platers are limited to 80

cheers for clearing that up...:thumbsup:

nsw- red p plates- 90 max speed limit
green p plates- 100max speed limit

you think 0.02 is harsh ,nsw its 0.00 nothing! fully licenced drivers is 0.05. That imho is so wrong, I mena seriously p platers can't even take some medicine, use some mouthwash or have a bit of nannas fruitcake without running the risk of getting done dui.

yeh im not saying its harsh hey i no u guys ave got alot stricter rules over there...yeh and i no wat u mean about the alco bit to a mate of mine used to get drunk off two beers...classic example of who not to let drive wen he's only had one. lol but yeh i wouldn't say all p-platers like u have above, takes me a few to blow over.

cheers
ryan

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
I'm too lazy to read this entire thread but as far as I see it I think people are being a bit spoiled-brat like.. EVERYBODY has had to display P plates for 3-4 years or whatever it is, so why should the people complaining be so special that they think they're above everybody else..

If you have a road worthy car, if you don't drive like a tool and if you're not drink-driving then you should have nothing to worry about, so what if you get pulled up more than normal, it's not permanent and everyone has had to do it.

Dragz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ
i love victoria :D what ever the sign says, you do :D...
i havnt been pulled over YET, last night i was dropping a mate off and i go into a street and turn around (he lives on a main road) and as i was coming back out i gave way to the cops to go past and they just suddenly stared at me, BOTH of em... the driver was looking at me and giving me a greasy for no reason.. and he almost hit a parked car hahahaha... and the chick beside was just lookin like "ooo another p plater" but they didnt pull me over(it was abvious i wasnt doing anything wrong but they were waiting for me to stuff up), and wen i saw that he almost hit the car if he kept looking at me....
ricky: hahahahaha funni **** *drinks thickshake*
then continued driving:D
hahaha so funny sometimes
DW! i had the windows 3/4 way up and he was to far away to hear me laugh my ass off hahaha

The other day a cop cut me off at the round about and he was looking at me like i did something wrong and so i gave him the same look lol.

Dragz.

ducatis

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE
Mind you I did a test once.. went past in dad's VN S (stock) with P Plates.. got flagged in.. then went past 15 minutes later without P Plates.. go waved past(with no-one in the cue).. so dodgy..

i was bored one night and kept driving past an rbt until i got pulled over (after about the 6th time). lol. Cops arent all that bad. mind you the same cop got me for both my offences which led to me losing my license. you make mistakes, you cry a river, and most importantly you LEARN!