Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

P plates: whats the point?

Christina

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Almost genuine VT "S" + VZ "SS" Red Ute + Vk V8
i want to know what the deal is with people putting there number plates inside their windscreens...

1vngal

Reaction score
Members Ride
'Ruby' 1991 VN Exec & '98 Proton M21 Coupe
i want to know what the deal is with people putting there number plates inside their windscreens...

Some do it for a wank factor, and others do it coz they have to. Smashed or no front bumper etc.

Christina

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Almost genuine VT "S" + VZ "SS" Red Ute + Vk V8
Some do it for a wank factor, and others do it coz they have to. Smashed or no front bumper etc.

ha ha wank factor.
i see em on ricers so must be that lol

Cogez

Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 Series II VP Calais
You guys have too much to bitch about!

I've been on P-plates for nearly two years, I've never been pulled over and never had another P-plater try to drag me. And anyway, P-plates do look kinda cool, P-plates on Commodores scream sicness!! Plus, people give you a little more room on the roads, 'coz they know you're a little inexperienced. Go P-plates!!!

Btw, I'm from WA, so I can do the posted speed limit, and have a BAC of 0.02!! *yay* I love WA!

harmer56

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
So what if p-platers get stereotyped by the cops? It is a fact of life that quite a large proportion of young drivers will do something stupid in their first years of driving. Some will learn from their first mistake, while others will continue to drive like idiots.
It might be an inconvenience to be pulled over, but if you havent done anything wrong then you dont have anything to be worried about. Speaking to my uncle who is in the Highway Patrol, he say's he has seen too many cases of a car full you young kids getting wrapped around a pole, so the cops are desperately trying to find ways to protect younger drivers. While the politicians like to throw around the idea of raising the age you need to be to get your licence, the cops would rather go down the route of educating young drivers so that we still retain the freedom of being able to drive ourselves around.
Sure, there might be a few di@khead cops who get their jollies from giving p-platers a hard time, but most of them are just trying to protect young drivers from their own inexperience and sense of invincibility.

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
you sound like youve been to a driver intervention program dude......
whats experience???? you cant get taught it by not having a license.
i lost my license for gaining experience.....
youve got your good drivers and youve got your bad drivers.
theres responsilble ones and theres irresponsible ones...everyone can choose how they drive, no on else is in control of the wheel but the driver

harmer56

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
lol na mate, haven't been to an intervention program, i managed to get through my p-plates with a clean slate.
I totally agree that in the end, the only person who can control what they do in the car is the driver, however education can play a major role in influencing the decisions that the driver will make.
True, you cant gain driving experience by being taken off the road,but maybe losing your licence will give you the experience to think twice before doing something silly behind the wheel next time. I'm not trying to bag you out mate, we are all human and make mistakes, i know i nearly spun my car in the wet a couple of months after getting my p's, but i learned from that experience.

crazyspoon05

Penguin Whisperer
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VW Golf GTI (RIP The 'Bizta' VNVPVR Wagz)
Seems like a lot of young drivers in the UK have the same sort of attitude, a recent article on it by Jeremy Clarkson from BBC's Top Gear put a similiar light on what is obviously a problem over there as well

Well, recent official research into car accidents has revealed that a third of all those injured and killed on the roads are young men, aged in a startlingly narrow band from 17 and 19.

Drowning in testosterone, and filled with a youthful sense of immortality, they career about in their Saxos and their Novas, crashing into just about everything that doesn't move.

This was my dad's problem. And it was mine too. A mere 35 hours after passing my driving test, aged 17 and a bit, and not under the influence of Top Gear in any way, I plunged off the edge of a bleak road in the Yorkshire Dales and into some unimpressed sheep.

So far this year, six people have rolled noisily into my paddock. One was a middle-aged chap in a van. One was a school teacher. And four were young men who had two other young men in the car at the time.

Being 17 is dangerous. It always has been. I dare say that in the days of old, 17-year-olds were reckless on their horses. The fact is, you simply can't make a 17-year-old see sense.

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
Don't agree with opinion thatcertain types of cars attract attention from cops. The whole time I was driving my old VS around on my P plates, I never got pulled over once, never got a second glance, etc... So I've either been extremely lucky, or the cops round my area just don't care... Same thing when I've driven my old mans Calais. It really is quite strange, but i'm not complaining!!! I've never been pulled up in the Camry either, but whos going to pull up a granny mobile?! :p

heh i only got pulled up randomly once in my VS while on my P's, random check of breath and license then on my way.

though got pulled up three times in the weekend, and i was being an idiot all three times. mostly driving like i was in a bit of a rush as the officers put it. i had no case or reason to argue, they're doing their job, i was being the tool so why fight it y'know?

but most days i drive sedately, i dont own a flipping supercar, i own a tired ex farmers, ex police car, she's done her fast kays, she's done her long kays, so i am happy to cruise most of the time

CAFA_TF

Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VS v6 3.8, 76 LX and VT SS gen3
P Plates are pointless. Probationary licences are not. The theory behind having them works wonders. Police are able to inforce corrective measures in the early stages of driving to help curb bad driving and promote healthy habits. They provide means for other "more experienced" drivers to allow caution when driving near "not so experienced" drivers. The theory is GREAT! and it works....however, the theory for communisim works too for fcuks sake.... in practise its ****.

P plates have turned into a means of isolating young drivers. The minority has gradually ruined it for the majority and now police has sterotyped the p-plater community. Im not debating the fact that p-platers are not bad drivers. Im not saying there good or bad. We're still learning... open licenced drivers are still learning. HOWEVER... i dont believe that the plates are nessary. They dont help anybody other than police in finding a young driver to rape (pick on, defect, yell at blah blah blah)

I believe that once you have been deemed able to drive on the roads by your slef... you should be treated that way. No segregation other than that of having a different licence with harsher penalties to, again, help curb bad behaviour into safe driving.

On a side note. Why not hav harsher penalties to the more expericed drivers? I mean they are so expericed as said so they should know better. It makes more sence to punish those that know and still make mistakes than those which are just learning. THink about it.

Happy Motoring.

aZk.[/QUOTE]

ALL I CAN SAY IS FKN A
The problem is not getting pulled over its the way the talk to you .If you have Ps up and you get pulled over may aswell slap a sticker on your head saying "I stole your daughters viginity". I helped my mate get his in WA and im sorry the crap they put you though you earn the pice of plastic . it was Sh*t tinns harder then when i sat for mine, cost almost a grand in driving lessons 3 tests some crap gay log book. a dam sight harder then when all you people handing out lectures got your licence

P platers shoulnt get spoken to or treated like a POS unless then are acting like one and unfortunatly there are to many general public and police type pple diving in to hand out lectures trying to look more importent then they truely are, as if they are special.
P plates are revinue plates praying on the young driver who can not defend them selves
cos if they where hooning they would have there car confiscated.and rightfully so

BTW ive been off my Ps for 3 years