Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

P0017 3l lf1 10k timing chains and oil sludge.

badluckcharley

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve international 3.0L LF1 sidi vvt
Hi I recently bought a second hand car it's throwing a p0017 code correlation code on bank 1 exhaust and everyone I talk to said timing chain has stretched and is bad. They were done 12000km ago full kit with gears. So I enquire at the shop that did the job and they say the engine came in with the worst engine oil slugd3 and contamination they have seen so they did 3 times oil fill and drain and filters and then clogs with sludge and throws code 1 week later they they clean and send him on his way no problem for a year and 12000km I buy it then boom p0017 running bad at idle and smelling like fuel and exhaust fumes only runs bad at low rpm and idle is it possible that the cam phaser on bank one is bad and causing the sludge and timing issue? Any ideas? I'm down alot of money here.

badluckcharley

Reaction score
Members Ride
Also getting a rattle now for about 5 seconds one I start accelerating. They one the car is warm and going it dosnt seem as bad or there at all

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SV6, 2010 International, 1996 VS Exec
He probably didn't change the oil for 12000 km either and cleared the code and you bought it.
If it is an LF1 which is a SIDI and full of sludge then chances are the chain tensioners are now blocked with sludge that came loose during the cleaning and is causing the rattle as they can't do their job properly.
I know some people have had success cleaning sludge out of the motors but to be honest those LF1 and LFW LFX all need 5000km oil changes not the 15000 that Holden had in the owners manual and once they have that funny smell that means they are gone.
Buy a low km LFW motor from a VE or VF and get it fitted and move on as it will cost you more trying to save the LF1.
Next worry will be if he didn't service the engine what does the transmission look like :rolleyes:

badluckcharley

Reaction score
Members Ride
He probably didn't change the oil for 12000 km either and cleared the code and you bought it.
If it is an LF1 which is a SIDI and full of sludge then chances are the chain tensioners are now blocked with sludge that came loose during the cleaning and is causing the rattle as they can't do their job properly.
I know some people have had success cleaning sludge out of the motors but to be honest those LF1 and LFW LFX all need 5000km oil changes not the 15000 that Holden had in the owners manual and once they have that funny smell that means they are gone.
Buy a low km LFW motor from a VE or VF and get it fitted and move on as it will cost you more trying to save the LF1.
Next worry will be if he didn't service the engine what does the transmission look like :rolleyes:
Update so I bought what I was told is a lf1 3l but the marking indicate its a 3.6 llt the seller said they use the same block
from factory that's why is this true?

badluckcharley

Reaction score
Members Ride
SmartSelect_20230503_202409_Gallery.jpg

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20230503_202421_Gallery.jpg
    SmartSelect_20230503_202421_Gallery.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 78
  • SmartSelect_20230503_202430_Gallery.jpg
    SmartSelect_20230503_202430_Gallery.jpg
    629 KB · Views: 75

VT2Commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Clubsport R8
Ahh no, the seller is talking out of their bum hole, they are a completely different engine block. 3.0L as opposed to a 3.6L big difference. The purchase you have made is an LLT 3.6L engine non SIDI engine.

Not even the same bore, stroke, cylinder heads or fuel system.

You want to get an LFW if you are going to go down the route of an engine swap.

Last edited:

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SV6, 2010 International, 1996 VS Exec
Update so I bought what I was told is a lf1 3l but the marking indicate its a 3.6 llt the seller said they use the same block
from factory that's why is this true?
Is it a LFX because they will fit no problems BUT you will need to update your ECU so more added costs.

If it is a LLT then that is another can of worms as the exhaust header and ECU would need to be changed if not supplied with the engine and probably a few other things.

Never take the work of someone selling something unless you know first hand that it will work because now you have to work out what to do while he gleefully counts his money.

badluckcharley

Reaction score
Members Ride
Is it a LFX because they will fit no problems BUT you will need to update your ECU so more added costs.

If it is a LLT then that is another can of worms as the exhaust header and ECU would need to be changed if not supplied with the engine and probably a few other things.

Never take the work of someone selling something unless you know first hand that it will work because now you have to work out what to do while he gleefully counts his money.
How can I tell for sure what it is

badluckcharley

Reaction score
Members Ride

This is the engine

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20230503_202409_Gallery.jpg
    SmartSelect_20230503_202409_Gallery.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 79
  • SmartSelect_20230503_202421_Gallery.jpg
    SmartSelect_20230503_202421_Gallery.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 66