Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Paint Flaking Off?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
You have sun down there? Lol
Plenty of sun, just because somewhere is cold doesn't mean we don't have sun. We also actually have the worst UV in the country.

zbownerqld666

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB LT Commodore
My ute is an 08 and it spends all day at work in the sun. The PO parked it in the sun 24/7. I dare say the PO before that parked it in the sun most of the day as he was either a painter or plasterer going by the condition of the tub liner, when I got it. It is a black ute too. A car a few years old should not have flaking clear unless the quality or application was poor. Holden need to come to the party on a full respray because this is the only way I see it not ending badly for you.
So it's not the clear coat coming off, it's the actual black paint straight down to what I'm assuming is the undercoat as it's a white/grey color underneath (pic one zoomed in shows it best) . It gets some shade from a tree until around 11am then sun until I get home around 5pm. It seems to be happening in crevice spaces rather than large spots like the roof, bonnet and doors. What do you think would be the best way to approach a proper fix? I've had issues with this dealer before (previous car was a Holden Trax) to the point where I've had to threaten ACCC to get them to deal with warranty issues.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Document every call, send them a letter in writing not email. Gather your evidence and then when they fail to fix the issue you will hopefully have made enough effort to warrant help from the ACCC.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
We live in a harsh, hot and high UV environment, so whatever car manufacturers sell down under must be as displayed and must be robust and long lasting as seen by ACL. Being that ZB ain’t old by any measure and that the paint is failing means it doesn’t meet ACL Paint failure in such a short time is clearly unacceptable.

The problem is in part twofold and depends on whether the paint is a factor paint failure or a respray paint failure and if it’s a respray failure who did the respray.
If you are the first owner, then you know the cars history and thus if the car has ever been resprayed y you since it’s always been in your possession. But it may have been restated by the importer or the selling dealer before delivery… In such cases, finding out who did the respray isn’t relevant as the selling dealer is on the hook in this case.

If you’re a second or third owner, you'd need a paint expert to identify whether it has been resprayed and if so then chase up the previous owners to determine who may have resprayed it… Was it the previous owners insurance company, the dearer before or the manufacturer before first delivery. This is where it gets complex cause the last owners insurance “lifetime repair warranty“ doesn’t transfers to the new owner and ACL wouldn’t apply if you bought it second hand privately.

In any case, Holden seems to have taken ownership of the problem by virtue of doing some paint repairs. As such I’d simply document every contact you’ve had/will have on the subject as likely you’ll end up at QCAT.

I’d suggest you ring up Fair Trading and discuss this issue with them as the6 should be able to clarify your rights and the sellers responsibilities under ACL.

Don't accept a touch up as these problems won’t really go away. I’d go to the best independent paint workshop and have a chat to them on what the best solution is for you, the owner…

In my view, once paint layers start to delaminate, be it the undercoat, base coat or clear coat, the only real solution is to remove the all the paint layers back to metal followed by a full quality respray. Kia did that in 2018 on all the yellow Kia Stingers. Toyota will likely be doing this on many many cars…

A quick search doesn’t show Holden ZB/Opel Insignia as having any systemic paint failures so that would indicate likely shipping damage and repair as being the culprit. So it sounds like it‘s a one off which means Holden’s accountants won’t be pounded in the same way as Toyota‘s will be. Or maybe their accountants know something we don’t and are playing hardball :eek:

Whatever the situation, the more prepared you are, the higher the chance the outcome will be to your benefit, so talk to FT.

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
Hi Everyone,

Just wondering if anyone else has had issues with the paint quality on their ZB? I have the 2018 LT in black, always washed in Bowdens and only ever used Boss Gloss, no animal poo or previous damage to the areas. But I have had now 3 instances of the paint literally flaking off under a normal garden hose or rain, both roof rails and now in the side panels. Holden have repainted the roof rails and I'm booked in for the side panels but I'm concerned about the longevity of the rest of the paint on the car. Especially once I hit end of warranty. I thought about getting the car wrapped but am concerned if the wrap is ever removed it would just rip the paint off given how thin the coats seem to be... Any experience and/or advice is appreciated
Looks like some contamination in the rubber/plastic compound before the paint process. Is it happening on metal panels?

zbownerqld666

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB LT Commodore
Looks like some contamination in the rubber/plastic compound before the paint process. Is it happening on metal panels?
So far just the roof rails and in the crevice of the front quarter panel

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
So far just the roof rails and in the crevice of the front quarter panel
Take notice of the advice given above as you may well have to.
In my opinion it seems your problem is not uncommon, perhaps not so soon, but I have noticed over the years since they started using plastic and rubber compound materials on the exterior of cars, that a lot of these components are prone to paint flaking or wearing prematurely.
I don’t think the paint has the same adhesion on plastics as it does on metals. My opinion.

Paul Smedley

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY23 Tesla Model 3 RWD, MY23 Tesla Model Y RWD
VE Commodores had pretty good paint (thick clear coat). They were actually painted to survive Australian conditions (as far as that is possible). Most complaints on Commodore paint seems to be from VFs which is to be expected as Holden didn’t have a future at that point so didn’t give a shite.
Nothing changed in the paint spec between VE and VF...

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Nothing changed in the paint spec between VE and VF...
Dunno why theres been complaints about VF paint then. The VFs mostly being a lot younger than VE‘s I wouldn’t have expected the amount of complaints I’ve seen about them.

I can’t complain at all about paint thickness on either of my VEs. Both have quite thick paint/clear coat judging by the many stone chips I cop driving too and from work (friggin dump trucks throwing rocks everywhere).

https://forums.justcommodores.com.a...primer-paint-clear-on-a-vf2-commodore.287792/

Last edited:

Paul Smedley

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY23 Tesla Model 3 RWD, MY23 Tesla Model Y RWD
Dunno why theres been complaints about VF paint then. The VFs mostly being a lot younger than VE‘s I wouldn’t have expected the amount of complaints I’ve seen about them.
Only two things I can thnk of. At some point, there was a change in one of the PTEC (Pre-treatment electro coat) chemicals - I don't remember now if this was pre/post VF introduction. Also - the aluminium panels for the hood and decklid.