Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Paint Flaking Off?

zbownerqld666

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB LT Commodore
Hi Everyone,

Just wondering if anyone else has had issues with the paint quality on their ZB? I have the 2018 LT in black, always washed in Bowdens and only ever used Boss Gloss, no animal poo or previous damage to the areas. But I have had now 3 instances of the paint literally flaking off under a normal garden hose or rain, both roof rails and now in the side panels. Holden have repainted the roof rails and I'm booked in for the side panels but I'm concerned about the longevity of the rest of the paint on the car. Especially once I hit end of warranty. I thought about getting the car wrapped but am concerned if the wrap is ever removed it would just rip the paint off given how thin the coats seem to be... Any experience and/or advice is appreciated

Attachments

• paint 1.jpg
    paint 1.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 191
  • paint 2.jpg
    paint 2.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 187
  • paint 3.jpg
    paint 3.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 193

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
The ZB wasn’t made for the Australian environment which isn’t a good thing. Dark colours are also problematic for paint/clear coat peeling. Is the car parked undercover or out in the sun?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Once clear starts to go it comes off in sheets. I'd be pushing for a full respray.

zbownerqld666

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB LT Commodore
The ZB wasn’t made for the Australian environment which isn’t a good thing. Dark colours are also problematic for paint/clear coat peeling. Is the car parked undercover or out in the sun?
It's parked in the sun at work unforunately as we don't have undercover parking but in the garage at home. It's been a fight to even get these parts re-done they keep asking what I wash it with and if I've ever had a 'clear cut and polish'

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
It's parked in the sun at work unforunately as we don't have undercover parking but in the garage at home. It's been a fight to even get these parts re-done they keep asking what I wash it with and if I've ever had a 'clear cut and polish'
UV exposure absolutely destroys paint. I‘m lucky enough to get an undercover spot at my work and up until February 2020 I was driving my SV6 too and from work.

Once I bought the SSV and it became my daily the SV6 has sat at home in the sun. It’s suffered more paint damage in the last two and a half years than it did during the previous ten years I drove it as my daily.

• Sad
Reactions: Lex

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
My ute is an 08 and it spends all day at work in the sun. The PO parked it in the sun 24/7. I dare say the PO before that parked it in the sun most of the day as he was either a painter or plasterer going by the condition of the tub liner, when I got it. It is a black ute too. A car a few years old should not have flaking clear unless the quality or application was poor. Holden need to come to the party on a full respray because this is the only way I see it not ending badly for you.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
My ute is an 08 and it spends all day at work in the sun. The PO parked it in the sun 24/7. I dare say the PO before that parked it in the sun most of the day as he was either a painter or plasterer going by the condition of the tub liner, when I got it. It is a black ute too. A car a few years old should not have flaking clear unless the quality or application was poor. Holden need to come to the party on a full respray because this is the only way I see it not ending badly for you.
VE Commodores had pretty good paint (thick clear coat). They were actually painted to survive Australian conditions (as far as that is possible). Most complaints on Commodore paint seems to be from VFs which is to be expected as Holden didn’t have a future at that point so didn’t give a shite.

F1Aussie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 COMMODORE
You have sun down there? Lol

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Exactly why the OP needs to be pushing for a full respray. Holden trying to blame car wash is nothing but them trying to find a possible out.