Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Performace oil

sv6 power

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Hey guys, I got myself mobil 1 5w30 for my sv6, i know its expensive but its one of the top oils so i wanted to try it out. I hope i didn't make a bad choice :) I know you wouldn't need it in a v6 engine but i like to keep my engine 100% healthy.

shadetreemechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR v6
Proper performance oils are real synthetic, at least group IV or V base stock
The LS2 comes from factory with Mobil 1, a group IV oil, but there are others just compare prices

I need to say the most important thing is not to get the viscosity wrong and do the oil change when specified, with a genuine filter

Last edited:

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim
AMSOIL

Mobil 1

Royal Purple

Seen nothing but good reviews of all of them, although when compared AMSOIL comes out #1 every time.

shadetreemechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR v6
AMSOIL

Mobil 1

Royal Purple

Seen nothing but good reviews of all of them, although when compared AMSOIL comes out #1 every time.

Yeah pretty sure these are all group IV, with the price tag to match

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim
Yeah pretty sure these are all group IV, with the price tag to match

Yep too much for me, all around $80-100 for a oil change.

I found out the other day Penrite makes and bottles the full synthetic Repco brand oils at Repco, apparently its the same thing just half the price because they buy it in bulk.

I got 5L of 10W40 for around $25 from memory, the Penrite brand was about $60 for the same thing.

If money was no object I would go for AMSOIL though.

shadetreemechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR v6
You can keep the higher priced synthetics in there longer maybe 10,000 or 15,000 km vs 5,000 from a typical semi-synth or mineral.
So the price might be worth it (you'd still need to change filter though they don't last that long)

And it depends on the engine, the V8 supercars run Mobil 1 apparently but they probably change it after every race, and those engines rev insanely high for pushrod motors