Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Permanently mounting a trickle charger in a VF sedan

VIRGOMONKEY

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT ACCLAIM V6 WAGON. 2017 VF 2 REDLINE WAGON.
I haven't used a CTEC, and haven't mounted the charger permanently in my ute, but have found this option to work well...Its a Victron Energy charger that I have hanging in the garage near where the front of the car is when it's parked, with a short fly lead and plug connected to the jump start point under the bonnet.
In the Utes the battery is inside the cab behind the passenger seat, so I didn't want to have the lead go through the door...I can leave the bonnet not latched with the 12 volt lead going under the bonnet above the headlight and still cover the car if I'm not using it for a while.
The other thing I like about this charger is the Bluetooth option, I can connect with my phone and check the battery and the charge mode that it is in, fairly basic but handy...View media item 298View media item 297View media item 296

yep thats a good design...any issues encountered like the cars electronics not liking these switch mode type chargers...i just replied to another forum user and said the same thing ..then found your post reply..

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Hey good point...and lucky i found this youve posted ages ago but still relevant today...i have a vf 2017 and want to float it to do some cranking tests to see if battery on way out.
Firstly how has yours gone as in did anything in electrical system not like a electronic type charger connected...
If all good...i realised and thought this might help you that it might be easier to clip on to the jump start terminals in engine bay...that way bonnet stays open and ya not trying to close boots or tailgates...leaving the lights on...

so out there if anyone reads this and done it any issues?.should be a common connection to batt...could even fit like you said in the maserati...but just have a charger terminal fitted in bay
I still use this system till today, I only duplicated it on the Caprice V only 4 weeks ago as I have the car for 7 weeks only and works very good as I have a Projector Charger next to a power point (Added more PP when needed) so its plug under the car and turn the Power point on. Also Don't disconnect anything
The VF Storm and the WN Caprice V + the other cars I have that are not used or even registered but like to start them up fortnightly.

PS the Below right rubber hanger was replaced.

Last edited:

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Inside boot, Tyre removed.

Connected across the Battery, Protected by a in line 10AMP fuse. Don't disconnect anything when I charge.

Milo 6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon/2009 fg xr6t(daily
Unless your battery has dropped a cell and is a bin job a c tek charger can restore a totally discharged battery so it should bring yours right up to full charge.Ive had a c tek 5.0 for some time now,best charger ive ever owned.
I put the ctek on my wagon roughly once a month since it only gets driven once every 1-2 weeks and the c tek has it fully charged within around 12 hours roughly.
I checked the acid level in my 7 year old factory holden battery a couple months ago and it was fine.
Highly recommend c tek

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
The wiring clip store called, they want to know if you need anymore..
No I get them cheap from Bunnings, Can't say the cable will come off LOL + using less of the cable supports the cable is all over the place and if this happens I wont sleep at night. Although I tried to straighten the cable out but the cable has its own mind.

PS re wrote part of it, made no sense.

Last edited:

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Inside boot, Tyre removed.

Connected across the Battery, Protected by a in line 10AMP fuse. Don't disconnect anything when I charge.

Wow a lot of clips used

Philmecrackun

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V 6.2L 1972 Ford Galaxie Wagon 400ci
Great thread, was going to connect my 5.0 Ctek to the car during the covid, the Calais is not getting driven, this will help.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
I still use this system till today, I only duplicated it on the Caprice V only 4 weeks ago as I have the car for 7 weeks only and works very good as I have a Projector Charger next to a power point (Added more PP when needed) so its plug under the car and turn the Power point on. Also Don't disconnect anything
The VF Storm and the WN Caprice V + the other cars I have that are not used or even registered but like to start them up fortnightly.

PS the Below right rubber hanger was replaced.

i've got this same charger and it's a godsend for the weekender that's just been sitting - i did actually contemplate some kind of permanent solution and didn't even consider the way you've done it. nice work.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
i've got this same charger and it's a godsend for the weekender that's just been sitting - i did actually contemplate some kind of permanent solution and didn't even consider the way you've done it. nice work.
Well the Caprice V I put the Charger on weekly it take 12-13 hours to charge up and turn off. Now that the Original 6 year old Battery. Now I bough a New one and it takes around 8 to 10 hours to charge. With the VF Storm I leave the car still for the same amount of time and it take 6 to 8 hours to go off. Yes same battery charger and system of charging on all cars yet the Caprice gobble up the power more than the Storm so work that out.