Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

pod filter with CAI setups

VLC86

..stay N/A..
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
hey guys..
iv been looking through all of the old threads about the pod filters vs. CAI. Just wanted to ask, i have seen on a few vl's that you can hook up a pod filter to the car, but also buy some parts that give direct air intake from below, behind the bumper. Its hard to explain, but i believe you can buy parts that attach to the other end of the pod and then they go down and collect cold air just like a CAI system would work if following coastvl's instructions. im sure you can get this, just wondering if this would then solve the issue of needing to box up the pod in the engine bay?

If anyone has seen it or knows if it gives better performance id like to hear about it. Post some pics of the CAI setup if you have some, because id really like to see how to do it.

Cheers :D

Jezza

Now with LS1 power
Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman International
personally if your car is close to stock in terms of performance dont bother with either i had a pod filter and i didnt notice any gain at all and the stock box and filter will be just fine and there wont be any hassle with the cops

VLC86

..stay N/A..
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
Yeah, i really need to make sure i dont make anything that could get the car defected (im still on my P's and i rely on my car to work). My car is an n/a calais, and its completely stock performance wise. I know that even a new air filter increases the performance of the car even by a small bit. I have also heard that the best way to gain a bit of power for a n/a calais is through the intake and exhaust. So i figured maybe doing the CAI with some PVC piping might still give it a bit of power.

Also, does anyone know the laws for mods in QLD? NSW and VIC are both differerent. But do i only need a box around the pod if i put one on?

Jezza

Now with LS1 power
Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman International
mace engineering (who are on this site as a sponser) have a cold air intake for the vl that i believe would work good and it uses the pod filter in a box that takes up the area of the stock air box and the space behind the headlight and i believe that it would probably work better and be more legal than just a pod with no box

here is a link to the section and the Vl CAI one looks just like the VS CAI in the picture about halfway down on the page

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
build a cold air intake with pvc pipe to behind front bumper and get a K&N Panel filter.... 100 mm(4") piping
easy and lets her breath better and colder....
dont worry about POD unless you a boxing it in and running a cold air supply to it,,
if not boxed all it will do is suck in warm air from engine bay.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
personally if your car is close to stock in terms of performance dont bother with either i had a pod filter and i didnt notice any gain at all and the stock box and filter will be just fine and there wont be any hassle with the cops

+1.No gain to be had at all.Save your money, and put it towards something useful.

vn boombox

SICKVL
Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 VL EXECUTIVE
i made a cold air intake by using a vn airbox cut a hole in the bottom of it and run 3" stainless pipe into a cone collector just behind the front bar with a k&n panel filter and it works really well

HOLDEN4life

Power of The CALAIS
Reaction score
Website
www.shantek.holden4life.com.au
Members Ride
Vl Calais
heres mine i built about 2 years ago when i was on my L's, cost like 40 bucks in total for everything, including the pod metal everything lol.
jghj.jpg

hgjghj.jpg

CAI, this is spose to be illegal but 3 pink slips later and numerous time puled over no ones ever said anything
(note i made it for the orginal box but got rid of that when i was bored like a week later)
DSCF5545copy.jpg

vk.jonno

:):):)
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk commodore, hq one tonner, hj ute,
heres mine i built about 2 years ago when i was on my L's, cost like 40 bucks in total for everything, including the pod metal everything lol.
jghj.jpg

hgjghj.jpg

CAI, this is spose to be illegal but 3 pink slips later and numerous time puled over no ones ever said anything
(note i made it for the orginal box but got rid of that when i was bored like a week later)
DSCF5545copy.jpg

you rekkon that would go alrite on a vk?