Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

"Project Monaro"

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
fail promotion.
Agreed. Sensational promotion in media, then, nothing. The whole thing went cold.
I didn't even receive emails about winners or monthly draws.
I had to dig around to find it.

It seemed like the goal was to bring customers to Holden and entertain genuine parts, however it favoured long time customers and volume buyers.

Promoting it in media in the format they did, really sold it to the general public and what is clear now is the target was trade.

markalan1two

Smile and wave boys !!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
X5 BMW, GenF2 GTS, HSV Y R8, AMG C43
oh well it was the high point for Holden in the media this year anyway.

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute
Agreed. Sensational promotion in media, then, nothing. The whole thing went cold.
I didn't even receive emails about winners or monthly draws.
I had to dig around to find it.

It seemed like the goal was to bring customers to Holden and entertain genuine parts, however it favoured long time customers and volume buyers.

Promoting it in media in the format they did, really sold it to the general public and what is clear now is the target was trade.
The draw wasn't made on the due date in the published terms and conditions. It was delayed by about a month and the results then seemed to be hidden. Took me over an hour to find that announcement vid, with no direct links via search engines. A lot of click-throughs all over the acdelco au site before I found one leading to the Holden site page that led to the Holden youtube channel & vid. Still only 2,214 views so most entrants probably still have no clue.

"Suss as a raw prawn on ya dash at knock-off in Cairns" I said to meself.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
The draw wasn't made on the due date in the published terms and conditions. It was delayed by about a month and the results then seemed to be hidden. Took me over an hour to find that announcement vid, with no direct links via search engines. A lot of click-throughs all over the acdelco au site before I found one leading to the Holden site page that led to the Holden youtube channel & vid. Still only 2,214 views so most entrants probably still have no clue.

"Suss as a raw prawn on ya dash at knock-off in Cairns" I said to meself.

If they've done it legit, they should have a permit from each of the relevant state authorities which have different rules.

For example, NSW Fair Trading states the following under Integrity Controls:

Scrutiny of the draw

In a draw where the total value of the prizes is greater than $10,000, the draw and the announcement of the prize winner(s) must be scrutinised by an independent person – unless we grant an exemption. This requirement does not apply where the winners are solely decided through a pre-determined, instant win, scratch, break-open or bingo-style lottery or game of chance, e.g. Housie. The ‘scrutiniser’ observes the draw process and decides whether all entries to the lottery have been treated equally and that no person has received an unfair advantage or unfair gain.

Approval for a non-independent person to scrutinise the draw

Apply to us in writing with full details about the draw process including safeguards and controls designed to overcome any person manipulating the draw.

Statutory declaration for prizes over $10,000

If the total value of the prizes is over $10,000, the person who scrutinises the draw must complete a statutory declaration. The declaration must state the scrutineer is independent (unless otherwise approved), that they scrutinised the draw, and that the details of the winners of prizes have been verified.

Wonder how their procedures comply with the rules of each of those authorities.

I believe Australian Consumer Law (ACL) also comes into play.

Not done legit, they could be in for some pain.

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute
If they've done it legit, they should have a permit from each of the relevant state authorities which have different rules.
<snip>
Not done legit, they could be in for some pain.
Would they get pain if nobody complained? I doubt an authority would act without notification (e.g. if "independent scrutineer" was dependent).
They quoted permit numbers for ACT NSW & SA in the T&C. I'll upload a copy here if I can.

Attachments

• FullTCs_HoldenProjectMonaro.pdf
    235 KB · Views: 231

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute
Here's the only info I could find when searching for results on the day after the draw was supposed to have happenned (which was 9.30 am AEDT on 20/04/20).

https://acdelco.com.au/latest-news/project-monaro-update/

"Project Monaro – Final Draw Update
Project Monaro fans,
Due to unforeseen circumstances the final draw in the Project Monaro campaign has been delayed until May 4th.
Apologies for any inconvenience."

No other information relating to Project Monaro or the prize draws was published until the following link was added in small text to the above page on May 6th, 2020. It was so easy to miss that I probably did the first few times I looked.

https://acdelco.com.au/latest-news/project-monaro-winner/

Which has the Holden Youtube channel video embedded, a list of the monthly winners and a stated claim of almost 250,000 entries.
Assuming all of the 2,225 views to date since then were entrants and none were repeat visits that equates to 0.89% of the entrants having watched the video. How many views would that be if there hadn't been a link published here?

I now understand why so many people mock Holden's derisory Public Relations and Media departments.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Would they get pain if nobody complained? I doubt an authority would act without notification (e.g. if "independent scrutineer" was dependent).

Correct, someone would need to complain. Can't fix something if they don't know it is broke.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Correct, someone would need to complain. Can't The regulators wont fix something if they don't know it is broken unless someone complains.
There fixed it for you :p

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Thats some A grade smart arsery right there.
Some A-Grade dodgy brother competition stuff from Holden/AC Delco.