Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Project Phoenix - VR Grange tribute/replica

whiskeytango

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SIII 5.0
I thought my tiny little gun barrel burns were bad but it sound like you need to walk around in a race suit :D.
I can just imaging how many people in the states never goto the docs and end up either carking it early or have the worst quality of life. We're so lucky. Doesn't mean you should stop wearing oven mits though.!

M#ick2183

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt wagon, vt hsv xu8,vs hsv senator,vs ss ute
So the weekend went both good and bad, as of course is tradition for me.

The good, engine bays looking a lot more complete.
sj2oyNr.jpg

The bad, first time getting the car fully up to temp. I replaced all cooling/fuel hoses except for the top radiator one as I couldn't source a replacement since the fire.....it felt fine but must have been weaked internally from the heat.........got to pressure, suddenly swole up like a cricket ball, and like a grenade....bang all within a matter of seconds.

2 hours of hosing down the car/shed and a hospital trip later. (Viewer discretion advised)
S2pwaws.jpg

tCBuQRA.jpg
LW0ZC7G.jpg

Will be working on interior things and probably small stuff like catch can/body loom wiring this week as mobility isn't great with bandages. Thankfully the pain isn't too bad due to nerve damage from a previous graft/burn on that arm when I was a teen, the nerves never truely recovered.
Farrkkkk!!!!! I think the car was just trying to show you how she felt maybe??,but seriously hope you recover well,cooked skin is no fun at all,be safe please

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Bonnet wasn't on yet, but yeah I was standing in front of it at the time, I could almost see it in slow motion.
So did you say you had started it a few times and had a little temp in it, but this was the first time all the way to operating temp?

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
You don't half-arse it do ya dude :oops:

Ive been fairly lucky had brother's overheating 70's old hilux radiator blow up ...went to cover face as header tank split open luckily had jumper on it sprayed directly into stomach/ribs....watching top skin peel off in shower was freaky.

Other good one was as young apprentice test running rebuilt 4cyl engines on ground...recharged car battery exploded a foot away from head covered in battery acid...got it everywhere eyes,mouth,nose but luckily mate guided me to sink wash face etc before jumping in shower.

Mum washed that work shirt it come out shredded to bits but rashes all over for week or two....still a bit paranoid about recharging batteries or jump starting cars decades later.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
You don't half-arse it do ya dude :oops:
If I'm going to do it I may as well do it right, injuries included.

Been doing interior things this week to avoid heavy lifting/strain on my arm. I've finished centre console revision 4.0

Trying to do an 80s/90's period correct style of console with the rubber boot etc similar to aftermarket shifters of old, and the 5 speed shifters that came in the commodores etc.

* Custom insert made of plywood wrapped in vinyl and colour dyed to match the centre console.
* B&M T Handle wrapped in leather (I did this a while ago but can't remember if I posted it).
* 4x black billet LED's (P, R, N, D) running off a Dakota Digital GSS3000 to make the shifter legal showing gear positions.
* B&M Star Shifter boot.
* Custom steel plate at the top of the boot with a grommet and painted wrinkle black to secure and locate the boot on the shifter arm.

I may be biased but I think this looks much cleaner than trying to fit an aftermarket shifter under the stock console/insert etc, especially without the pwr/econ switch, cigarette lighter, ash tray etc.

The best part is it's just clip in, so to go back to stock I can just click the original shifter insert panel back in it again. I try to make as many of my modifications as reversable as possible.

Uarq1Si.jpg

ch6tM71.jpg

Last edited:

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
watching top skin peel off in shower was freaky.
Yeah the first time when I had my 3rd/4th degree burns as a teen I could literally see blobs/chunks of my arm falling off into the shower. Then I remember waking up mid surgury to see parts of my arm being cut out to get rid of the heavily damaged areas.....I still have nightmares about that from time to time and this was a lifetime ago.

11/10 on the pain scale.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
kJ2lXOm.jpg

Not specifically to do with this car, but made some wall art to hang my keys/headphones in the office.

(I didn't realise how dirty my headphones were until I saw them on camera, they get used in the shed on occasion).

Last edited:

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
kJ2lXOm.jpg

Not specifically to do with this car, but made some wall art to hang my keys/headphones in the office.

(I didn't realise how dirty my headphones were until I saw them on camera, they get used in the shed on occasion).
oh snap! we made one when we moved in (back when we only had 6 cars :D)

1680147838846.png