Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Punctures

Jack GS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 Buick Regal GS
I have only had one puncture. I managed to pick up a washer that had been cut in half, corroded, and stuck itself right between the tread. Since it was at home, I just took the wheel off and ran it to the dealer. All they did was plug it. I'd have done that myself but I wasn't sure if they'd want to replace it under the tire protection plan I have. Just plain old bad luck, as others have said.
Optimized-IMG_20201003_131532__01.jpg

I need to get around to buying a spare. There's a long discussion on spares on this Buick Thread. The most common solution is what @stooge has already posted. Some have just picked a spare up from the junkyard, others have bought ktis from ebay, and some have purchased brand new OEM kits from other GM vehicles. No one seems to have issue with the scissor jacks here.

If you don't care to root through the whole thread, these posts contain the meat and potatoes: 16, 42, 44, 50, 71-72, 81, 146, 156, and 158. All of us in the US have the 5x115 bolt pattern, so you VXR guys with the 20" 5x120s are on your own lol. I doubt any compact spare will clear the Brembos, so if there's a front flat, a rear tire will need to be moved to the front.

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
Something around this size is what I'm referring to...Comes with it's own carry case too

View attachment 220159

If you consider that to big and heavy, that's fine
I was referring to the trolley jack I already owned which looks to be a good deal more substantial than that one.

Where did you find that jack?

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
another option is a bottle jack but i dont think it would work under the zb because it is too low

trolley jacks can be a problem if you are on the side of the road in gravel but you can get small ones

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
I would much prefer to have a spare and trolley jack, rather than a sub woofer...But each to their own.....

But what about the banging bass for my tunes?! :p
No spare, not even a space saver, is such a false economy. The tins of foam/gunk hardly ever work, and you then need to get recovered. Sure its a low frequency event, but I'd gladly lose 50 litres of boot space to gain a spare.

I'm just glad the first owner of my clubby specked a spare.

I have only had one puncture.

What ever? Or just in the GS. Lucky man if the former.

Jack GS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 Buick Regal GS
I wish I was that lucky... but yeah, just one for the GS with the Conti ProContact TX tires. I've had plenty of punctures and blowouts in other cars. At least those had a spare.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
If you get a trolley jack, ensure it will be able to get under the car, in the correct position, if you have a deflated tire.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I was referring to the trolley jack I already owned which looks to be a good deal more substantial than that one.

Where did you find that jack?

I have a workshop jack at home, which I wouldn't put in the boot of my wagon, so I suspect you have a similar one which I don't blame you not putting in the car.

The picture I posted was a random one I found by googling, however Stooge has posted another which I also found googling....

If you keep an eye on catelogues they quite often come up on sale....I have only suggested these, as I have seen too often people in the middle of know where stuck with a flat tyre with no spare....I also fix a few punctures which have gone flat rather quickly, which can leave one stranded if they don't have a spare...

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
But what about the banging bass for my tunes?! :p
No spare, not even a space saver, is such a false economy. The tins of foam/gunk hardly ever work, and you then need to get recovered. Sure its a low frequency event, but I'd gladly lose 50 litres of boot space to gain a spare.

I'm just glad the first owner of my clubby specked a spare.

These tins of gunk are primarily aimed at the European market, where everything is close by...Unfortunately with our country, things are a little further apart, so it does pose a problem....

As for the banging of tunes.....Roof racks buddy...Roof racks....That way everyone can enjoy them, without it being muffled in the boot :p

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
These tins of gunk are primarily aimed at the European market, where everything is close by... Unfortunately with our country, things are a little further apart, so it does pose a problem....
I believe removing spare tyres were primarily a fuel saving measure (since many markets have fleet average fuel consumption requirements, saving a few kgs per car can help to meet such requirements) with a side benefit that it increases the boot volume (which improves brochure bragging rights).

As to our wide open spaces, the majority down under use their cars to get to and from work and on weekends don't stray too far from civilisation (the greater city in which they live)... Most people, when they have a flat, aren't too far from home and will usually call roadsode assistance anyway even if they have a spare in the boot :rolleyes:

Still, i always make sure my car has a spare tyre at the correct pressure (yes i check it frequently) and a working jack in the car (i see nothing wrong with the scissor lift jacks, not sure why people hate then) :cool:

As to getting flat tyres, new housing estates are the worst place for such since their is so much crap on those new roads :mad:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I believe removing spare tyres were primarily a fuel saving measure (since many markets have fleet average fuel consumption requirements, saving a few kgs per car can help to meet such requirements) with a side benefit that it increases the boot volume (which improves brochure bragging rights).

As to our wide open spaces, the majority down under use their cars to get to and from work and on weekends don't stray too far from civilisation (the greater city in which they live)... Most people, when they have a flat, aren't too far from home and will usually call roadsode assistance anyway even if they have a spare in the boot :rolleyes:

Still, i always make sure my car has a spare tyre at the correct pressure (yes i check it frequently) and a working jack in the car (i see nothing wrong with the scissor lift jacks, not sure why people hate then) :cool:

As to getting flat tyres, new housing estates are the worst place for such since their is so much crap on those new roads :mad:

The can of goop was primarily aimed at the European market and yes the Australian manufacturers jumped on the band wagon removing the spare and making all the sales speil you mention as a result of the removal of such spare.

Our wide open spaces are a lot bigger than European countries....Whilst most using the family car as a work hack, as such, it is also used for the country trips....It's those country trips where the vastness comes into play....You know an hour away from a town here and there....An hour here or there overseas equals 6 different towns.....Just a slight difference :)

Roadside assistance is there to change the flat, but if you have no spare to change the flat with, that makes it more interesting....I have had cars come in on a flat bed because it had more than one flat,, but a singular flat and no spare would be interetesting how it would work....

As for areas flats are common....Yeah new estates are common, but from the way I see it, main roads are the main cause....So much traffic, so much crap falling from cars, accidentally or deliberate, accidents leaving debris on the roads....All equal punctures

The majority of people do prefer a spare, but those that don't is their choice, which can be a worry.....