Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Re-Power Steering recall.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
you get a letter if affected (source I have had the letter, can action whenever I want to).

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
@Anthony121 , any rectification would have occurred much much sooner had Holden/GM placed more importance on this issue. As is, they've been dragging their corporate feet on this issue for more than two years (original thread started Nov 2017).

Yeah, i know its a Holden enthusiast forum but maybe some consumer perspective is needed rather than just being an apologist for a corporate miscreants.

After all, people have a right to be peeved at Holdens lethargy in getting a potentially dangerous fault fixed. And the fault itself can only be described as a major fault under ACL, which is a trigger for the purchaser to ask for a full purchase price refund. That alone should be an incentive for Holden to pull out all stops (but for regulatory capture).
Seems to me that this issue was sorted out in a timely manner when it was identified in the US years ago.
Maybe Holden were concerned with their reputation in affecting further sales or more likely averse to legal punishment/compensation claims in the litigious U S of A.
We are more accepting in Australia.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Thank you
Mine is June 2016 so it's fine by the looks of it..
Truth is, Holden 1st thought some dielectric grease was the solution. Well that didn't work so they then they added some epoxy around the connector. That also failed as a solution. So they took more bites of the apple down under. Meanwhile, in the USA, the PPV's got a newly designed racks with gold plated connectors rather early in the saga. Really, it's a clusterfuck if ever there was one.

Now, we are told that only pre April 2015 builds are impacted but no one has any authorititive proof that the racks installed post this build date have the same design mods that went into the PPV's. Or that the repair kit now used on pre April 2015 vehicles also mod those existing racks in the same way (gold plated pins + whatever else they designed into the PPV rack). So it's just to trust them without question it seems. Something from Holden would go a long way in clearing this up but they refuse to release anything.

Just as the airbag fiasco, where manufacturers provided a list of impacted vehicles, then kept adding to the list and in some cases repeted recalls on the same vehicles. Seems there is "fixed" and then there is "fixed". So the question is which "fixed" is it and can we fully trust any manufacturer when big $ are at play :oops:

So in the case of a VF with a 2016 build date, which fix is it, and is it really "fine by the looks of it" o_O
For the moment, i'd be alert but not allarmed :rolleyes:

PS: I'd guess a EPS repair kit costs $500, while 3 hours R&R labour costs $300 all up. Do this over the 66,194 vehicles would give a total spend at just on $52.9 million dollars. That's much like giving away 1060 VF's each costing $50k retail... Maybe we now know why Holden would have been inclined to drag their feet in finding a quick solution.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
But their court enforceable undertaking to the ACCC !!!!

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well the court enforcable undertaking is valid until end of 2020. So we should all be OK because a manufacturer wont drag their feet long enough for the undertaking to expire and then go back to their bad habits... will they... Leopard, spot, something, something...

Heck, if you read the undertaking, Holden wrote letters to owners about the rocker safety recall and invited them to contact Holden about reimbursment for any repairs already completed... Wonder how many who suffered injector failure and paid for new injectors are even aware of the "service campaing" and that they can claim reimbursment of their costs?

In any case, my issue is i don't trust any motor vehicle manufacturer based on my interactions and history so I want something technical on their letterhead. I've found such docs helpful in the past but they are almost impossible to get these days... wonder why...

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
This just in - Mazda taken to court by ACCC

ACCC said:
If a vehicle cannot be repaired within a reasonable time or at all, consumers have a right under the Australian Consumer Law to a refund or replacement, and manufacturers cannot refuse these claims.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Mazda's egregious conduct, in not accepting major fault or timely repair provisions of ACL, when a new vehicle with engine troubles spends 4 months out of 6 in a workshop requires they get a good thumping by the courts to help them understand their legal obligations.

Heck, i my young adulthood, there was a report in the papers about a USA BMW purchaser, who soon after delivery, realised his new vehicle was resprayed (due to minor shipping damage). The result of the court case was that a repainted vehicle can't be a new vehicle by definition of the repair. So what he was sold was missrepesented and as such the court awarded twice the vehicle cost as compensation (and got to keep the car).

So, our laws, though good, have some way to go in their enforcement. Adding some punative damages payment when sellers drag their feet or don't follow the law, on top of a full purchase price refund for major faults under ACL, will ensure the law has some teeth. Then maybe businesses will more redily accept their obligations under law and not try to shift costs back to the purchaser (as they seem to do).

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Mazda's egregious conduct, in not accepting major fault or timely repair provisions of ACL, when a new vehicle with engine troubles spends 4 months out of 6 in a workshop requires they get a good thumping by the courts to help them understand their legal obligations.

Heck, i my young adulthood, there was a report in the papers about a USA BMW purchaser, who soon after delivery, realised his new vehicle was resprayed (due to minor shipping damage). The result of the court case was that a repainted vehicle can't be a new vehicle by definition of the repair. So what he was sold was missrepesented and as such the court awarded twice the vehicle cost as compensation (and got to keep the car).

So, our laws, though good, have some way to go in their enforcement. Adding some punative damages payment when sellers drag their feet or don't follow the law, on top of a full purchase price refund for major faults under ACL, will ensure the law has some teeth. Then maybe businesses will more redily accept their obligations under law and not try to shift costs back to the purchaser (as they seem to do).
True Skylarking. But not that far that Aus becomes as litigious as the US. Maybe there's more to that case? But, a free car and a huge wad of cash for a paint repair is ludicrous.
We have some very sound statute and case law. Law to protect people from all manner of wrong doing. Yet, guilty offenders walk away scott free, time and time again. Consumers should be treated fairly, without all the BS we typically have to go through. It's been said before, but after sales service and warranty on a $50 toaster is better than it often is on a $50k car. The ACL is a big step in the right direction and a landmark case or two will change behaviour. But, some retailers will always take advantage of uniformed customers. Case law or no case law. As you have alluded to countless times, people need to know their rights and back themselves in standing up for them.
Out of interest, Mazda came to the party with my Daughter in law's CX5. Bought second hand, actually 7 years old and out of warranty. The alloy diesel blew a head gasket and was diagnosed as terminal. A very common problem with this engine. I.e they will all do it eventually. A bit of an epic tale, but in the end Mazda fitted a new engine. I saw the invoice ~$26k. She paid $18k for the car... Mazda should have just reimbursed them the cost of the car and reasonable consequential losses. The engine now has 38,000k's on it. Mainly highway driving. Once again, the engine is overheating, starting to lose power and consumption is rising. I hope Mazda has deep pockets and a massive stock of their shity motors.
Ford did the same with my Daughter's shitbox Focus. I.e new transmission, clutch and motor. But it was a very distressing process. The car was under factory warranty and Ford just didn't want to know about it. Fair Trading were about as helpful as tits on a bull. She sold the car the day after she got it back from Fraud. Vowing never to buy another. Not due to the faults. But the way she was treated.
Finally, a mate of mine bought an Ex NSW Police, Highway Patrol VX SS years ago. On it's second service Holden called him and said, "We're going to install a new motor and transmission." He didn't even realise there was anything wrong with either of them. Needless to say he was stoked. He still has the car today.

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
^ some say Australia is already more litigious than the USofA, who knows o_O

Yes, that BMW paint case does seem ludicrous on the surface but I’d think the putative side of that punishment would help to act as a deterrent. The deterrent is something lacking in our laws. The USA buyer gains something for their headaches unlike down under. Here the regulator gets $10M and the Ford customers, as an example, have to again get in line and go through more crap just to get Fraud to now, hopefully, follow the law...

I’d forgotten about your daughters CX5 saga... good outcome, of sorts, with the new engine. By the sounds of it, it looks like she’ll have a second bite at getting a full purchase price refund since the same problems is coming back :eek:

Must just be me but I’ve never understood fixing some product using the same faulty component; that’s just kicking the can down the road o_O

after she got it back from Fraud. Vowing never to buy another. Not due to the faults. But the way she was treated.” This is what manufacturers seem to never learn. A disenchanted customer can be lost for life along with many family and friends... after all, people do have mouths to relay their poor experiences to one and all. And with the www, and forums, the reach people who suffer from such poor experiences can be unbound to the sellers/manufacturers detriment.

Wayne001

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf calais
Mine is amongst the recall , rang them and asked them what if the steering fails and i hit something .
They said they would pay the damages .