Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Re-Power Steering recall.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
You blokes haven't lived until you've driven a LWB Bedford truck with conventional bias ply tires, and no power steering...:p

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I only had to contend with a VK 5 litre, no p/s, 235 tyres and M21 with heavy duty clutch.

Don't get me started on the days of heavy duty clutches and different size leg muscles.

It's only beaten by my memory as a young lad back in the bush seeing old fellows with bandy legs from a life time of riding horses.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Back then you didn't want PS. Coz it was crap! No road feel whatsoever. Not until the RTS cars anyway.

I remember the first time in the '70's when I drove my mate's old man's 1970 ZD Fairlane with power steering.

They were a floater at the best of times but at highway speed the steering was so light that at the slightest touch you'd move six feet to the side, I swore on that day I'd never in my lifetime own a car with power steering.

My mother would have my sister move my car out of the way so she could get at dad's as she refused to drive mine because the wide tyres made it too hard to manoeuver, I have to be honest I'd hate to drive a car like that today as a daily.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
I had a 1970s Valiant (Chrysler VIP as it was badged) Longer version to compete with LTD and Statesman with a 318 Cui V8 and that had power steering. I actually converted it to manual steering as it was way too light on the road. Had to change the steering column too and then it was a bastard to park. Not as bad as a HQ without power steering. They seemed much harder to steering while stationary. Going to the VN ex police car after that was pure luxury.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Are you Dale Kerrigan ?

When I was young and still living with mum and dad it sometimes seemed like I was.

Darryl Kerrigan: “Oh Steve, could you move the Camira? I need to get the Torana out so I can get to the Commodore.”
Steve Kerrigan: “I’ll have to get the keys to the Cortina if I’m gonna move that Camira.”
Darryl Kerrigan: “Yeah. Watch the boat, mate.”

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
I had a 1970s Valiant (Chrysler VIP as it was badged) Longer version to compete with LTD and Statesman with a 318 Cui V8 and that had power steering. I actually converted it to manual steering as it was way too light on the road. Had to change the steering column too and then it was a bastard to park. Not as bad as a HQ without power steering. They seemed much harder to steering while stationary. Going to the VN ex police car after that was pure luxury.
Nice! Must have been a VG V.I.P. 1969-71. That was the last VIP incidentally. Not LWB though. Would love one today!!!

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nice! Must have been a VG V.I.P. 1969-71. That was the last VIP incidentally. Not LWB though. Would love one today!!!
Yes it was the VG model. They also had a VF model which was the earlier with a different front grille.

The car was about 10 cm longer. The back doors were bigger than standard as was the rear floor.

Redline16

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII SSV Redline Manual
Young blokes today haven't lived until they can reverse park a HQ V8 with 8 inch rims and no power steering. ;)
Does it count that I drove a VP with failed power steering around for a year? They say its harder to drive with a failed power steering rack than to drive with a manual rack ;)

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
Does it count that I drove a VP with failed power steering around for a year? They say its harder to drive with a failed power steering rack than to drive with a manual rack ;)

Yes because of the ratio of the gears. Power steering is usually 1.25 turns full lock while manual steering was 2.5 turns.