Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Re-Power Steering recall.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Old fellas like us Cuda remember what it was like to drive without power steering and as heavy as it was with 60 or 50 series tyres it was only a pain when you were stopped and were trying to reverse park.

I'm not going to say were we tougher back than but I'll imply it.

I'm not going to say it either Panhead. But, I support what you've not said implicitly.

Last edited:

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
always remember life was tougher when you speak up against progress. Ignorance is bliss but I'm sure the horse and cart was a bitch and sleeping in a cave without fire sucked too.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Yeah, I also remember the old cars with no power steering :rolleyes: or airconditioning :eek:

Even though we reminisce, the cars back then were crap daily drivers in comparison to today quiet and comfortable daily drivers. But that was part of the allure in driving an old performace car, they were rough, difficult to drive and ready to bite if not treated well :cool: these days it's all electronics and nanny controls and too much civility o_O

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Young blokes today haven't lived until they can reverse park a HQ V8 with 8 inch rims and no power steering. ;)

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Young blokes today haven't lived until they can reverse park a HQ V8 with 8 inch rims and no power steering. ;)

I only had to contend with a VK 5 litre, no p/s, 235 tyres and M21 with heavy duty clutch.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah, I also remember the old cars with no power steering :rolleyes: or airconditioning :eek:

Even though we reminisce, the cars back then were crap daily drivers in comparison to today quiet and comfortable daily drivers. But that was part of the allure in driving an old performace car, they were rough, difficult to drive and ready to bite if not treated well :cool: these days it's all electronics and nanny controls and too much civility o_O
Yeah hey. But I know which I prefer. Leaf springs and chrome are nice to reminice. But when the rust drops the bullshit nostalgia stops. Panhead is right though. If you can handle those old pigs, these new svelt machines are a doddle.:D:rolleyes:;)

LMF 17

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSVR
I once jumped in a work car once back in the day and could hardly steer the thing, went in and complained to the fleet guy that the power steering was broken, he started laughing and told me the car didn’t have power steering. Background to this is my car had it, my previous work that I had just moved from had it on their cars, but the govt fleet didn’t.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ah you blokes and ya yankee mopars and VK's hahaha. Try a lowered HR wagon, tucking wide chromies with a ~8" steering wheel (yes 8"). Not mine but I drove it.
Mum and Dad's (actually just Dad's ;)) SBC HQ Monaro coupe with deep dish hotwires and BF Goodrich Radial TA's was almost as difficult to park. Much more fun but!
Back then you didn't want PS. Coz it was crap! No road feel whatsoever. Not until the RTS cars anyway.
Back on topic. I'm not going to try and pretend to know everything, or even much about the modern EPS systems. But I know enough to know that when the system isn't powered up, the underlying mechanical system is still in place. To engineer a car any other way would be ludicrous to day the least. The first time a car stalled, had a flat battery, or ran out of fuel would be a one way ticket to a class action law suit that would bring even the mightiest manufacturers to their knees. Is there a risk of loss of control? Yes, just like every other time you get behind the wheel. Sure the risk is greater. But it's not a significant risk, based on my multiple recent experiences. That, and you've just gotta pull over safely. Inconvenient? Yep. An instant death trap? Nah.