Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Re-Programming VT Commodore Key

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
If anyone who is in South East Suburbs of Melbourne [Bayside Area], I will program in your new Key Head for VT > VZ for a fee, being you need to use your original Key Blade.
Don't be a cheapskate/tight a___ and buy cheap non-genuine Key Heads, or the cheap and nasty Replacement Shells, or replacement buttons as the may work at the start, but will eventual fail, the replacement silicon buttons also don't last, as they fall out, and/or wear through.

I tried the replacement shells, and silicon buttons myself after a friend told me about them, and ended up throwing them out, they are just cheap crap.

I ended up buying 4 x Genuine 3 Button Keys Heads from a Locksmith in Camberwell, 2 for myself, and 2 for a friend, we transferred the existing Key Blades over to the new Key Heads, programmed 2 into each car, and neither have faulted once, and that was 18 months ago, the rest is history.

If you like your Holden as much I do, and only like using Genuine Parts,
At least buy a decent Key Head/Remote that will out-last the knockoffs, the cheap and nasty remotes will fail when you least expect it, and that's when you will look back and think, why did I buy that tight a*** remote rubish.
The cost will be $40, I will make a donation of each programming job to Just Commodores,

if that doesn't encourage you to buy Genuine, what will, if you not serious about genuine parts, you are probably not serious about your Holden.

Last edited:

CRH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S1
Yes

unlock car with door lock not the remote

insert new key into ignition and turn to ON there will be a pause for a few seconds
turn key to OFF and remove

push lock then unlock on the new remote

Congratulations you've just programed your new key

Remember to Give holden dealership the finger next time you drive past one
I tried this on a new key and it worked like a charm. Great thing to know thanks osca. Now can I can just buy a key for $50 and program it myself in 2 minutes!

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
oh for crying out loud
this is not programming a new key
it is reintroducing a chip that the car already recognizes, just changing the shell
or finishing the programming carried out by a locksmith