Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rear wheel bearing shot

goony

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais v V6 wagon
Morning,

The car has run a wheel bearing, presumably a result of the damage by thieves, same corner as the bent suspension.

Looking for recommendations from experience - there big price differences in cost genuine to non- genuine it seems.

Would you recommend a genuine bearing?

Would you replace the hub also - i can't press at home but could get that done & swap out the hub?

Thanks, JD.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
New Genuine parts ?,
If you can get them, and/or at a reasonable price.

You location says CBR ?,
Unsure where that is,
however, if you wish to elaborate/correct/update it, some of members maybe able to point you in the right direction for spare parts,
That said, possibly a wrecker would be your best bet,
Again which wrecker to your location.

IMHO, Source a lower control arm, install it and a wheel alignment, pending the subframe/k-frame it’s bent,
Then it may need a replacement K-frame, and a wheel alignment.

Last edited:

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
If the hub is bent then swap over both quality bearing and hub.

goony

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais v V6 wagon
Thanks for responses.

In Canberra and we have a couple of parts sources still. But $250 for a bearing and $350 for a hub genuine - is that reasonable?

I sorted the bent suspension a while ago, the bearing has taken a few thousand K to present it's grinding noise, so I'm on borrowed time with it.

Tempted by cheapies on line, and will try a wrecker, hadn't considered that option so thanks!

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Buy a full hub from the wreckers and fit that. The Gen bearing is the best by far. It will take some belting to the remove the shaft so pull the shaft and hub together and separate it in a vice. You will need a new hub nut.

Pazzu

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE S2 SS Thunder 2017 VF S2 SS
Thanks for responses.

In Canberra and we have a couple of parts sources still. But $250 for a bearing and $350 for a hub genuine - is that reasonable?

I sorted the bent suspension a while ago, the bearing has taken a few thousand K to present it's grinding noise, so I'm on borrowed time with it.

Tempted by cheapies on line, and will try a wrecker, hadn't considered that option so thanks!
Mate of mine just had it done at profection. costs sounds reasonable.

Better to buy quality parts as its quite labor intensive. no point skimping on parts and having to replace them later down the line.

NJD-1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF-S2 SV6 Commodore
Those axle nuts are staked, and done up to 350Nm. Plus they’ll more than likely be rusted on too.

That’s not a job I’d want to do even with the proper tools. When I replaced my diff, I removed the knuckle with the axle attached, as there was no way in hell I was gonna get that nut off.

Given the size of the job, I wouldnt replace with anything but genuine.

Z31na

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF Commodore Evoke
Working in a parts store, I’d say most legitimate warranty claims are ones that were dead on arrival.

But having worked in a bearing shop I’d say going with “genuine Holden” bearings is less important than going for quality bearings from a long established bearing company (Timken, Koyo, NSK etc). Lesser brand bearings sold by someone reputable with an awesome warranty process is fine if you’re on a budget. But do research on the brand of bearing in their box. You don't want a wheel bearing thats totally obscure. Its a recipe for disaster.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Working in a parts store, I’d say most legitimate warranty claims are ones that were dead on arrival.

But having worked in a bearing shop I’d say going with “genuine Holden” bearings is less important than going for quality bearings from a long established bearing company (Timken, Koyo, NSK etc). Lesser brand bearings sold by someone reputable with an awesome warranty process is fine if you’re on a budget. But do research on the brand of bearing in their box. You don't want a wheel bearing thats totally obscure. It’s a recipe for disaster.

^^^ this. Holden doesn’t make bearings so ’OEM’ is actually another brand. Use quality brand-name bearings wherever possible.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yes, but talking to blokes that replace these bearings weekly say that the ones Holden sell are the best you can get. I replaced mine with an aftermarket bearing from Bearings Tas which was one that CBC sourced from their supplier, which is probably a good bearing but doubtful it's as good as OEM. I pulled apart a gen hub I bought SH and the factory bearing in that looked brand new. The ones Holden use last a very long time. Personally I would buy the complete hub & knuckle from a wrecker and install that.