Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Redline front tyre choices

GMVPSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Redline Wagon, 7sec Pontiac GXP, VY Ute
275/30R20 is the size fitted to the HF20 options wheels from Holden. The tyre at 30 series will look (and be) a lower profile, however your speedo will read faster at the same speed as it is turning more time per km.

I cant comment on ride as I am coming from a lowered VY ute on 18's and Chevrolet Silverado (with 20's) to the Redline wagon with HF20's on Monday when I pick it up. :)

RED LION

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Redline
275/30R20 is the size fitted to the HF20 options wheels from Holden. The tyre at 30 series will look (and be) a lower profile, however your speedo will read faster at the same speed as it is turning more time per km.

I cant comment on ride as I am coming from a lowered VY ute on 18's and Chevrolet Silverado (with 20's) to the Redline wagon with HF20's on Monday when I pick it up. :)

Yeah I thought it was on the HF20’s. Weird that they are 30 and th HSV is 35 all round.

Just a bit worried about it looking weird with 35’s on the front and 30’s on the rear.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
If you have a staggered fit you need the wider rears to have a lower profile so the overall diameter can be a closer match to the fronts.

Use a tyre size calculator to determine the overall size of both tyres to see how close they match, there are many calculators on the web.

RED LION

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Redline
If you have a staggered fit you need the wider rears to have a lower profile so the overall diameter can be a closer match to the fronts.

Use a tyre size calculator to determine the overall size of both tyres to see how close they match, there are many calculators on the web.

Everything is the same as HSV. All except the offset

Sheppbloke

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Redline
For what it's worth, went from the stock 19's (still have them) to 20's (standard Holden size 275 x 30 back 245 x 35 front) on mine and barely noticed any difference in ride. Some argue 19's work better but I can't tell much difference. Definitely like the look of it with 20's Just got to address the same old 4 wheel drive look issue next.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Had a set of the new Michellin Pilot Sport S4's fitted today. 19 245/40 and 275/35, Y rated. Very quiet and great turn in. Better than the 003 Potenza Adrenalinz which I really liked. I paid $1460 for tyres alignment and nitrogen. A mate helped me get them at that price. Not sure of full retail price? So far so good.

Last edited:

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
HD a set of the new Michellin Pilot Sport S4's fitted today. 19 245/40 and 275/35, Y rated. Very quiet and great turn in. Better than the 003 Potenza Adrenalinz which I really liked. I paid $1460 for tyres alignment and nitrogen. A mate helped me get them at that price. Not sure of full retail price? So far so good.

Good choice.

Mike Litherous

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ssv
I’ve had the pilot sport 4 tyres on for a month or so now. They grip every bit as good in both wet and dry as my old pilot super sports.

I tried testing out the dry grip from a standing start but it pretty well killed off the last remaining grip of my 178000km clutch!!!

I get back from gm Motorsport early next week so with new clutch done + some power upgrades I’ll be able to report back on how they cope.

It always amuses me that when people modify cars for more power and bigger wheels ect that they always put on the shittiest tyres. Maybe it’s the cost. I still run 18” due to mine being a working Ute (carrying tools etc). I may need to upgrade to 19” rims as will at some stage need some better front brakes.

With the ride I guess it comes down to the lightness if the wheel. If upsizing to 19 or bigger the nasty ride can be somewhat offset by using a light weigh wheel.