Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Remote start distance to car

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
I haven't really played around or tried my remote start yet, but here's another question.

Say I am leaving for work in the morning and remote start my car from my front door and let it warm up while I eat breakfast inside quickly. What's stopping someone from pressing the button on the door handle and driving off? Since my keys are still in range of my car from inside my house, the car can be unlocked right?

the distance is so short that if you are standing on one side of the car a person on the other side cannot unlock it.

theburna57

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute V6
OK I was told this and I am not shitting you as I have tried it and it is true. If you hold the remote under your chin, the fluid in your brain will cause the remote to work up to 50% further. It works, no bullshit.

carcollector

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice, VZ SS Crewman, ZB Calais V,VE CalaisV
I don’t think anyone has mentioned window tinting yet. If you have window tinting, check if it is the “metal listed” type (ie contains metal ingredients) or not. If it is metallised, it will cut down the amount of signal that can get inside the car to the receiver. I have tinting on our ZB and it’s non-metallised so no problems with range of the remote. Our WM has metallised tint, and it does decrease the range of the remote.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
OK I was told this and I am not shitting you as I have tried it and it is true. If you hold the remote under your chin, the fluid in your brain will cause the remote to work up to 50% further. It works, no bullshit.

I've heard something similar but it was push it up your arse which is just too inconvenient when you're in a hurry. No bullshit.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I've heard something similar but it was push it up your arse which is just too inconvenient when you're in a hurry. No bullshit.
Look, to be honest, when I was in a hurry & this worked for me, I was in a hurry to get where I wanted to go.
So it was fine.
Now if I'd known I was going to be in a hurry on the way home it would've been inconvenient, as groping around in there to retrieve the fob took me ages.

Z31na

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF Commodore Evoke
Look, to be honest, when I was in a hurry & this worked for me, I was in a hurry to get where I wanted to go.
So it was fine.
Now if I'd known I was going to be in a hurry on the way home it would've been inconvenient, as groping around in there to retrieve the fob took me ages.
Wait. Don’t all you guys have a VF with passive entry and keyless start? Once the key is lodged in there, there’d be no need to fish it out…
Dam I regret getting a Evoke now.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
The fishing expedition with each toilet-break would become a tad tedious, I guess ...

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
just pre-lube each morning, makes the whole affair a fair bit quicker.

theburna57

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute V6