Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacing Handbrake shoes... help please

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I need to replace my Handbrake shoes. Where can i get them , are they holden only or will repco have them, and how much ?
Also how do you adjust them ? do you adjust at the wheels or at the handbrake lever ?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Gregorys devotes almost 3 pages for the handbrake shoes so what you ask is more than can be covered easily....but I can scan and email - pm me.
They rarely fail!

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
thanks hako, I have a gregory's ( sticks finger down throat ).. I will figure out the fitting bit, but still not sure where I can get the pads as they are not real common like you said. Can u get them aftermaket ?

Zuicider

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Set of thongs
pretty easy to change, if you have any mech background and commonsence its easy as ****

cruzn

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr Commodore
pretty easy to change, if you have any mech background and commonsence its easy as ****

What??? I think you are thinking of the rear brake pads which are relatively easy to replace. The rear park brake shoes are located inside the rear disk and are not easy to replace. Sure is you have good mechanical knowledge you can attempt it but the park brake mechanism is full of many small parts so keep this in mind.

HDT_aero

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
manual VN aero
i got mine from sprint auto parts and from memory they were about $50 (i know harsh)

Zuicider is right thow they are easy as to change
just remove the calipers then slide off the drum (with the handbrake off)
take out the two spring loaded retaining pins then the adjuster then the springs that hold the two together (thats the hardest part same with getting them back on)
then just re assemble and adjust so they are just free spinning when you get the disk/drum back on the tighter the better but you dont want them to touch at all.

Zuicider

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Set of thongs
What??? I think you are thinking of the rear brake pads which are relatively easy to replace. The rear park brake shoes are located inside the rear disk and are not easy to replace. Sure is you have good mechanical knowledge you can attempt it but the park brake mechanism is full of many small parts so keep this in mind.

as i said its easy as ****, you can also adjust them in the housing so u get more out of them without tighting the cable underneath, works like drum brakes

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
thanks guys, this is what i wanted to know. I had one rear disc off about 60 thou k's ago and the shoes were worn out then .... so i'm guessin thed be totally rad-chit by now, no wonder the hand brake dont work too well LOL. Sounds just like changing the drum shoes on the old torana.

Zuicider

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Set of thongs
have u being doing hand brakies? cos on my 400 k plus vn, they are original and still full of meat