Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacing VF reading lamp globes with LED’s

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
non polar or "bi polar" leds are not that uncommon, they do it one of 2 ways.
one way is to have 2 diodes with the anode and cathode in opposite directions.
the other way is a bridge rectifier.

if you can change the polarity by flipping the bulb in the socket then you dont need those types of led, they will still work though.
The T10 wedge type bulbs can simply be flipped in the bulb holder to obtain the correct polarity but not the BA9S bayonet type bulbs.
The non polarity bulbs just keep things simple and trouble free.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I use purple T10's wedge lamps in my cabin light and the two lights behind (at the side ) of the seats in my Ute.

I use white T10's wedge lamps in the reading/map lights.

I bought a few spares in case I had problems but after 6 years I'm yet to have anything go wrong with them.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I use purple T10's wedge lamps in my cabin light and the two lights behind (at the side ) of the seats in my Ute.

I use white T10's wedge lamps in the reading/map lights.
Good ute option! I've got LED's in my ute and although the colour spectrum is fine, they're almost too bright and over-illuminates the cabin.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Good ute option! I've got LED's in my ute and although the colour spectrum is fine, they're almost too bright and over-illuminates the cabin.

The purple lights aren't too bad, they just add colour to the cabin, but the white lights in the reading lamps are very bright, they make the OEM globes look like a torch with flat batteries.

The brightness in the reading lamps is a good thing, as they make is easy for me to read something if necessary.