Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacing VS driveshaft centre bearing.

jvc06

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v6
hey im just wondering what part of the drive shaft do i take of first having problem changing my centre bearing ...a diagram would help me out thanks

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Nice searching skills, and digging skills.

In answer to your question, remove the whole tail shaft from the car first, it's a whole lot easier to do out of the car.

Undo the rear unijoint first, then undo the two bolts holding the centre bearing bracket to the car, then pull the tail shaft out of the transmission. Be sure to have a container under the rear of the transmission to catch the fluid that comes out. It won't be much though.

jvc06

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v6
okay thanks so how do i put the fuild back in ??

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
U can use a funnel and it goes back in via the auto dipstick in the engine bay. It has a red cap, not the engine oil dipstick

jvc06

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v6
hey i undo the unijoint bolt and the 1 holding the centre bearing but the other end is part is stuck to the gear box ..is it different setup cause mine is a manual 1 ..

Z2TT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore
Hi guys, I'm having a bit of trouble getting the actual bearing out everything else snap rings etc is out.

Anyway for those of you who don't know how to get to it, once you have removed the driveshaft there is about 6 hex bolts you remove. once those are out there is a "Cover" on each side of them that you have to tap out using hammer and flat head keep rotating and tapping it will take a while, you need to take the rearmost cover out and frontmost too I think. Once the rearmost cover is out clean the grease to see better, there is one snap ring to remove, once it's out.

You can tap the joint that is all greasy out, there is a section where you can tap it out from behind.

Then you have to remove another snap ring. Once that is out you have to remove a plate to get to the bearing, doesn't matter if you break this plate or bend it a new one comes with it.

I am stuck on getting the bearing out itself, has anybody removed it without a press? I tried holding the whole shaft upright and having a friend hold the rubber section of bearing while I smash into the top of the shaft so the shaft goes in and bearing comes out but the rubber part sort of acts like an absorber and absorbs all the force. Then tried going on bench and front behind it hitting the bearing with hammer and screwdriver, at the rear it separates but at the front it's not moved out at all.

Any ideas?

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore