Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Resinator off!!!

S Pack

Topped out @ 230kph
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mercedes E-Class 2007, E220 CDI Wagon
MasterOfReality said:
How can it be a legal requirement to have 2 resinators?

A resinator is a device just to alter the sound of the exhaust, thats all!

On my car, I had a twin cat 2.5" merge into a 3 inch resinator, then into muffler and tip. Fark it was loud and it droned like a bitch.

I cut the resinator out and the drone disappeared and the exhaust quietened down a fair bit.

I think people are getting their resinators mixed up with their rear mufflers and cats.

its gettin me confused now........the zorst shop told me the rear muff was the resinator, anyways i dont have one so it doesnt phase me the slightest.but when i drive with my middle rear seat down i can hear a loud high pingy sound sort of like when u put a seashell to ur ear through the zorst........i presume thats resonance.

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
coolvncommodore said:
Yeah i noticed a pretty big difference in performance when i got the stock exhaust changed to a 2.5 inch redback catback and when i cut off the ressie it made no performance change at all. It just sounds a bit deeper and a bit louder. and when it idles it sounds like a V8:)
Hmmm the V8 sound from a V6 thats good:D Nice will confuse some walking by to:D

fazz1977

myspace.com/fazz_himself
Reaction score
Website
www.buttonhole.com.au
Members Ride
1992 VP Executive Wagon, L27 V6 3800
OK, does anyone work for VicRoads or the RTA or any of those motoring bodies?

Definiteve answer to: 1 res or 2? Legal?

Muffler, is the rear bit the muffler or the res? I'm doing some work on my car this arvo so I'll take some pics underneath for clarification.

If it's legal to have the res removed and it sounds better and it's cheap, I'll do it.

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Just got off the phone with two individuals from VicRoads, (a roadworthy supervisor and a licencing/registration official), and they both said that regardless of noise, a vehicle that was manufactured stock with two mufflers, MUST have two mufflers fitted to be legal. Muffler, resonator, same thing.

Which I guess means that any VP or VN Commodore must have both!

(also, on an interesting side-note, VicRoads have no problem with the installation of an open pod filter. Of any type. There is no need for an air box, just as long as the pod is securely mounted. HOWEVER, the EPA does not like an oiled pod filter (like a K&N filter that you would spray oil onto after washing) to be fitted in any circumstances. So a vehicle with a pod would pass a roadworthy and get you by regular patrol and response police, but you'd get into trouble with the EPA if your local highway patrol (TMU) was feeling a little trigger-happy with the canaries.)

Last edited:

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Just out of interest, what are you doing to your car this arvo?

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
Morton said:
Just got off the phone with two individuals from VicRoads, (a roadworthy supervisor and a licencing/registration official), and they both said that regardless of noise, a vehicle that was manufactured stock with two mufflers, MUST have two mufflers fitted to be legal. Muffler, resinator, same thing.

Which I guess means that any VP or VN Commodore must have both!

(also, on an interesting side-note, VicRoads have no problem with the installation of an open pod filter. Of any type. There is no need for an air box, just as long as the pod is securely mounted. HOWEVER, the EPA does not like an oiled pod filter (like a K&N filter that you would spray oil onto after washing) to be fitted in any circumstances. So a vehicle with a pod would pass a roadworthy and get you by regular patrol and response police, but you'd get into trouble with the EPA if your local highway patrol (TMU) decided to go spastic with a canary.)
Does a Hot Dog pass as a Rear muffler resonator:D.

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
It should, as it is technically a type of resonator, but you'd have to ask yourself if you want to be certain. I should have thought of that while I was on the phone ^^

fazz1977

myspace.com/fazz_himself
Reaction score
Website
www.buttonhole.com.au
Members Ride
1992 VP Executive Wagon, L27 V6 3800
I was putting my new side repeater indicators on. Tried to get some pics under the car but good old melbourne weather made the lighting shite. Will try again tomorrow when I change the rims and she's up on stands.

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
Morton said:
It should, as it is technically a type of resonator, but you'd have to ask yourself if you want to be certain. I should have thought of that while I was on the phone ^^
I have zoomed past the men and women(Nice ones to) In Blue and they haven't looked twice, Even today my mum was out and she was behind a stack of cars that wouldn't pass the police, So she out and rounded them all up, Even the cops couldn't believe the way people hold back and zoomed off also. My mum said they didn't even look, But i do know it's pretty loud just not illegal maybe?:D
I don't mind stopping for them to look, Hope they have cameras hahahahaha:p