Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Reverse Camera Guide Lines

RossK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE11 SV6, VF LPG Evoke
Hi guys,
Just purchased a 2013 VF MY 14 Evoke Sportwagon, July 2013 build.
There are no guidelines on the reverse screen.
I contacted a Holden (GM) dealership to get a software update and the service manager told me it is not guaranteed the lines will be there after the update and it would cost me.......... a ridiculous $440-. Seriously, I consider this a rip off, especially as it's not guaranteed the lines would show after the update.
Would anyone have any suggestions?
The reverse camera is tricky as it is placed on the side of the boot handle, it's not in the middle.
Cheers.
Yes, it's a rort. they quoted me $160 in 2019, to which i said no.
I survived 30 years without a camera, i can go a few years more without the lines.

Z31na

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF Commodore Evoke
Hi guys,
I contacted a Holden (GM) dealership to get a software update and the service manager told me it is not guaranteed the lines will be there after the update and it would cost me.......... a ridiculous $440-. Seriously, I consider this a rip off, especially as it's not guaranteed the lines would show after the update.
The reverse camera is tricky as it is placed on the side of the boot handle, it's not in the middle.
Cheers.
Try a different dealer. I had mine done in 2017 as an xmas present. Tried charging me $150. Made them do their quoted $129.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Hi guys,
Cheers.
At that price, as an alternative and if you have a spare laptop, buy a VXdiag Nano ($235AUD) and a SPS single car subscription ($55USD)?) and learn how to program your vehicle yourself. That way you wont need to involde those thievish shites that Holden dealers can be. :cool:

Batca

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv sportwagon
Hi guys,
Cheers.
Wow that’s harsh. Back in the day I had mine done under warranty with the old iPhone drops out excuse. $440 is criminal.
It is better with the lines though.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
At that price, as an alternative and if you have a spare laptop, buy a VXdiag Nano ($235AUD) and a SPS single car subscription ($55USD)?) and learn how to program your vehicle yourself. That way you wont need to involde those thievish shites that Holden dealers can be. :cool:
Following down this SPS rabbit hole, it looks like you need to apply through AASRA to become a security professional (and all that malarkey) to gain access to this programming suite. Looks like A$35. then of course there's the gadget which has varying reviews on Amazon.
Maybe there's another way, but I default to doing things correctly and legally :rolleyes:
Seems like fun to play around with though.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Following down this SPS rabbit hole, it looks like you need to apply through AASRA to become a security professional (and all that malarkey) to gain access to this programming suite.
I thought the only requirement, other than just paying for an GM/Holden SPS subscription, was around tasks associated with key reprograming and vehicles security related pograming. For all other tasks, the SPS subscription was enough.

But I haven't dabbled with SPS yet... and it's unclear to me what a single VIN SPS subscription allows. Does it allow one to reprogram each module only once for a specific VIN or does it allow one to reprogram any module as many times as one wants for a specific VIN (not withstanding limits around security related reprograming) ??

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
I thought the only requirement, other than just paying for an GM/Holden SPS subscription, was around tasks associated with key reprograming and vehicles security related pograming. For all other tasks, the SPS subscription was enough.

But I haven't dabbled with SPS yet... and it's unclear to me what a single VIN SPS subscription allows. Does it allow one to reprogram each module only once for a specific VIN or does it allow one to reprogram any module as many times as one wants for a specific VIN (not withstanding limits around security related reprograming) ??
You can reprogram whatever you want as many times as you want as long as your subscription is current, including keys.
I have not encountered any security limitations including reprogramming keys.

Also, be aware SPS is no longer in effect, it is all 'techline connect' now
Functionally a little different but all the same outcomes can be achieved.

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
double post, sorry

NJD-1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF-S2 SV6 Commodore

This is the next frontier I want to tackle, but from my research isn't it the one that comes with a far higher degree of risk if it goes wrong?

Mechanical things I can fix no problem, but if one "bricks" your cars software you're really up the proverbial creak!

From my understanding, and correct me if im wrong, they don't do updates like say our smartphones do. Instead of downloading the entire software package, loading it in memory then running the install, they instead download/install to the cars BCM at the same time on the fly from the GM server?

Which makes it susceptible to all sorts of things like voltage drops, computer glitches, lost connects etc. Seems a super stupid method if you ask me. One day though if I get brave enough im keen to tackle it

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
This is the next frontier I want to tackle, but from my research isn't it the one that comes with a far higher degree of risk if it goes wrong?

Mechanical things I can fix no problem, but if one "bricks" your cars software you're really up the proverbial creak!

From my understanding, and correct me if im wrong, they don't do updates like say our smartphones do. Instead of downloading the entire software package, loading it in memory then running the install, they instead download/install to the cars BCM at the same time on the fly from the GM server?

Which makes it susceptible to all sorts of things like voltage drops, computer glitches, lost connects etc. Seems a super stupid method if you ask me. One day though if I get brave enough im keen to tackle it
No that's not how it works for mylink.
The install package is copied to a usb then flashed to the mylink.