Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Revs dropping and Engine Shaking

owen18

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Executive
havent checked anything yet, been crook all week end and im back at uni now.

seems to be fine when i rev it though, only occuring while idleing

vr_shart

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
vr executive
i just baught three bottles of injector cleaner and the fellow @auto barn told me do half a bottle for full tank for first two tanks instead of full bottle because it might dislodge some huge amount of $h!t and cause a block somewhere else hope this might help, also try some throttle body cleaner

Cal-a

wicked sick
Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 vl executive, 88 vl executive
ok to check if it is the injecterts turn your car on and let it idle go through and unplug the injecter one at a time so unlpug the fist listen for a change if there is no change of idle then it is that injecter if there is reconect it and move to the next one i had this problem on my vl i have a reck so i just took and injecter out and replaced it then she was fine

also my reck did the same thing aswell except i went and got it comp tested becouse it was the leads plugs or injecter and i had done a valve and only had around 40psi or preasure in the 4th cyclinder

let us no

owen18

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Executive
ok to check if it is the injecterts turn your car on and let it idle go through and unplug the injecter one at a time so unlpug the fist listen for a change if there is no change of idle then it is that injecter if there is reconect it and move to the next one i had this problem on my vl i have a reck so i just took and injecter out and replaced it then she was fine

also my reck did the same thing aswell except i went and got it comp tested becouse it was the leads plugs or injecter and i had done a valve and only had around 40psi or preasure in the 4th cyclinder

let us no

Thanks mate, but first how do i take out the injector and where is it located in the engine bay ( car noob i know)?? also if i take the injector out, and there isnt a change, wouldnt that mean that its not that injector, where as if there is a change (as in improvement, not worsening) then it would be that injector

MX_Leigh

Reaction score
Members Ride
yz250f
also check your ingnition timing. same thing happened to me. scared the **** outta me coz my mate thought it would be fully sick to play around with the timing:bang:

owen18

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Executive
ok guys, i have been completely lazy and haven't checked any of the things you told me too
but moving on from my laziness
recently while driving the car it has been struggling to change for 2nd to 3rd gear (auto- and this is at least what i think is going on because it seems like the car goes from 2nd then to 3rd then back to 2nd etc causing the car to shake fairly violently, at first if i put my foot down a bit it would choose a gear.... and then wouldnt happen for a while, but its starting to happen more often. Today i put my foot down and it did nothing, i was going about 60-70 and the car just started to shake. Could it have something to do with the gears or could it be related to my first problem which was the car stuttering at idle (see above). I spoke to a mate who knows a little about cars (yet not much) and he thought could be one of the leads my arcing or something :S
does this sound like a common problem throughout any cars at all?
i really need to pull my finger out and check what you guys said early, but thought id check on here again in case someone who knows a bit about cars says 'definately your leads' or etc etc

Thanks guys

ps sorry if theres typos etc too lazy to proof read

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
Not to be mean but your mate sounds like he doesnt know much at all like you said' or shiat about an rb30 engine" all engines are different...he sounds like his giving you service tips!

Get a book and do an ecu test and see if that brings up anything that might help you with your problem.... i kinda think its a dizzy/cas, or timing problem even possible the afm, could even be a fuel problem or a loose wire.. but hey i could be wrong..

For a tip

cost you 40 dollars or less for the book and its fully of tune up issues..the max or greg version, ive read things i never knew about before..for another tip : all screws and bolts come out anticlockwise nothing worse then using an extraction tool :p and dont over tighten bolts!

Last edited:

kane88

Reaction score
Members Ride
bf xr6 daily, vl project, wb ute project
sounds like your gearbox is on a one-way path downhill mate.
i had this happen to my spare parts car, used to run fine until you sat on about 65/70 then it would start to shudder, almost unnoticeable at first, and build up until it got pretty violent. the only way around it was to either back off the pedal and rev up again or hit the PWR button on the shifter..

owen18

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Executive
ok thanks guys, i think i might have to get one of them books goon, i should be getting the car on gas soon so i might get my friend whos doing it (different mate lol) to check it all out then

also has stopped doing it and seems to be running fine except the slight shudder at idle.

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
ok thanks guys, i think i might have to get one of them books goon, i should be getting the car on gas soon so i might get my friend whos doing it (different mate lol) to check it all out then

also has stopped doing it and seems to be running fine except the slight shudder at idle.

Cool mate, yeah get a book its so helpful :thumbsup:

i hope ya solve ur issue!!!