Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rumble-1979 HZ Kingswood Ute

kingswood country

Reaction score
Members Ride
hj kingswood
I like about 85-86 degree on a temp gauge that works pretty accurate for the amount of variation your saying 65 to just under 80 . If that's happening after its been running for 10-15 minutes I'd put a new thermostat in it.
where is the temp sender for the aftermarket gauge you have in it in the block?

edit from reading your post again I think the thermostat is stuck open or someone has knocked the guts out of it do as kingwood country says to test it for what its worth just put a new 1 in, remember to change the bearing cones as well when you do wheel the wheel bearings. The never ending eating of your money old cars.

Even if the thermostat is buggered or missing, it should still get up to temp, takes longer, but should, if not, the radiator is too efficient. Easiest way out is a canvas flap over the grille or radiator, and for the life of me, I can't remember where the hell the temp sender is on the old 6....

But yes I agree, old cars, never ending money pit, and my brother thinks he won't drive his till its finished!!!!

First car and needs to be fixed a little and regoed,
He'll never drive it with that theory!

Taking donations of cash, card or full frontal nudity.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
tw1tch is saying the car runs like arse for the first 10-15 min stuttering under acceleration and stuff thats why I reckon stat its taking that long to make temp we've all cut the guts out of a stat on the side of the road on a hot day to try stop over heating. I think the temp sensor is on the right side of the motor back of the head but thats a think.
kingswood country your bother will get sick of spending money on parts that are no where as good as the originals why I gave up driving my old hz tonner none of the after market parts I put on it lasted. At some point your bother will have to settle.My oldman liked my old vk and started fixing it up it went on and on we replaced that many parts then he died I couldn't let all the bits we brought for it go to waste now I drive it:smoking:.

kingswood country

Reaction score
Members Ride
hj kingswood
I've got no double the thermostat is buggered or non existent, but it still should get up 80-90 degrees, which tells me he's either in snow or its cooling a bit too much.

I've done the same thing, it starts with a repair, for me, a leaky Stromberg, went to holley, then mags, then v8 it keeps going, and while your doing that, the body starts letting go, then it's of the road for 10 years for what was meant to be a freshen up over the Xmas break!

I'm not quite at the freshen up part yet.

tw1tch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Exe Wagon, '78 HZ Kingswood SL, '79 HZ 1 Tonner
well I got a new thermostat coming. Also, I am in favor of the too efficient cooling theory. In case i forgot to mention, the ute is running red coolant mixed pretty strong.

kingswood country

Reaction score
Members Ride
hj kingswood
I'm pretty sure, all the violent does is stop the water from boiling for another few degrees and stop it from freezing, I don't think it actually changes the running temp.

tw1tch

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok, well my new thermostat arrived, so i pulled the thermostat housing apart and voila!

there is something missing?

This should help :yahoo:

And ta da!

The car runs MUCH warmer, and thermostat works extremely well, Plus, I found out why the radiator was leaking, the old AND the new radiator cap were both missing a second rubber gasket. So I swapped the radiator cap from boomer and that's fixed too. Pretty happy with today's effort :shooting:

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
Well done , how far have you driven it on a hot day not that far I'm guessing from what I was taught if you take the thermo stat out totally it will over over heat as the coolant wont stay in the radiator long enough to cool down thats why in a roadside dodgie we cut the cuts out of the thermostat and put the outer part of it back in.
I've found a few with that problem on the hwys when I was a young traveler. Useless trivia of the day.

kingswood country

Reaction score
Members Ride
hj kingswood
Well done big fella, but better to drive now I'd imagine... Needs thermos

tw1tch

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well done , how far have you driven it on a hot day not that far I'm guessing from what I was taught if you take the thermo stat out totally it will over over heat as the coolant wont stay in the radiator long enough to cool down thats why in a roadside dodgie we cut the cuts out of the thermostat and put the outer part of it back in.
I've found a few with that problem on the hwys when I was a young traveler. Useless trivia of the day.

i have only been driving the ute just over a month, and even then, its just been mostly 20min trips to work and back...im pretty glad i found out before i drove it any great distance.

tw1tch

Reaction score
Members Ride
well its been a while. been having issues with the car running real rough to the point of stalling. I've also replaced the plugs, leads, distributor, coil, and the carburetor. This has had no effect on the rough-running, which has maybe gotten worse, it sounds like the engine doesn't even want to turn over. When I rev the engine, it sounds very healthy, but the idle is terrible .