Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Running lean in 2008 VE commodore sv6

xsz.sv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore SV6 S1
Around the time I got my aftermarket empire performance muffler deletes put on I started getting codes on my obd2 scanner telling me that the car was running lean in both banks. this lean running can be noticed when driving in the normal shift drive with engine hesitation happening constantly, but when I shift into sport shift, it is barley ever noticeable.

I first thought it was a fuel pump or something but now seeing that the exhaust is the only aftermarket part on the car, could a tune fix my problem?

Cheers

Martbar

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF Series 2 SSV Redline.
Around the time I got my aftermarket empire performance muffler deletes put on I started getting codes on my obd2 scanner telling me that the car was running lean in both banks. this lean running can be noticed when driving in the normal shift drive with engine hesitation happening constantly, but when I shift into sport shift, it is barley ever noticeable.

I first thought it was a fuel pump or something but now seeing that the exhaust is the only aftermarket part on the car, could a tune fix my problem?

Cheers
Mate, lean fueling common to both banks could be MAF or TPS
and it would be helpful to know what the fuel pressure is at the rail, as it's a lean condition in both banks l'm ruling out plugs, coils and injectors. Are the problems worse when the motor is cold?
The problems diminishing in sports mode is interesting, someone else might chime in about that. A good tuner will sort it for sure. Good luck.

xsz.sv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore SV6 S1
Mate, lean fueling common to both banks could be MAF or TPS
and it would be helpful to know what the fuel pressure is at the rail, as it's a lean condition in both banks l'm ruling out plugs, coils and injectors. Are the problems worse when the motor is cold?
The problems diminishing in sports mode is interesting, someone else might chime in about that. A good tuner will sort it for sure. Good luck.
No matter whether the engine is operating temp or freezing, its the exact same and just goes away in sport mode, but stays hesitating while in normal drive mode. Thanks for your knowledge I was going to give the maf a good clean with some crc. ill also get the tps checked, is it common for VE tps to go?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
You need to learn patience padwan…

Starting a thread @ 6:59 and then starting this thread which is almost a word for word copy @ 8:05 is not only is against forum rules and good etiquette, it also shows impatience. Hopefully that’s not an indication of the way you drive.

But for me, the real question is what do you hope to achieve with a muffler delete?

Do you want to ruin a reasonably well engineered v6 exhaust system through the exuberance of youth and your desire to modify? Do you want to make a god awful exhaust noise because you hate your neighbours? Do you 2ant to make noise and attract attention from the constabulary?

Really, I can’t see the point of removing the factory mufflers on a V6. Being older and wiser, I’d rather spend the money on making the standard car look immaculately clean and polished, and operate perfectly. Make it something that you could be proud of rather than something that just screams look at me but otherwise looks just like any other POS car out there.

But hey, that’s just me…

PS: maybe throw up a video of the car and what she sounds and looks like, I could change my mind :p