Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Safety Recall] Electric Power Steering — MY2014 to MY2016 Holden & HSV, VF Commodore & WN Caprice

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
@ybl8te is dealer service supposed to look at under body condition and do a quick look over whenever they lift the car for service (be it owner or warranty)? i.e. check for rust whenever they lift the car?

The reason I ask is that it sems you have the beginnings of the dreaded cancer... or it’s just red dirt :rolleyes: simple to clean up now but a pain down the track (if you keep your car long term) o_O

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
had mine done yesterday, bit firmer than what it was before
also no alignment, and is pulling to the left a lot more than what it used to
Check your wheels are ok and check your tyre pressures are correct. If it still pulls to the left and i5 didn’t do that before, get the dealer to fix it.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
@ybl8te is dealer service supposed to look at under body condition and do a quick look over whenever they lift the car for service (be it owner or warranty)? i.e. check for rust whenever they lift the car?

The reason I ask is that it sems you have the beginnings of the dreaded cancer... or it’s just red dirt :rolleyes: simple to clean up now but a pain down the track (if you keep your car long term) o_O

they will wilfully ignore some stuff, just ask my sis she was getting her trashbox Cruze serviced at a dealer and the gearbox which was under that extended recall thing (look it up) was ignored every "service".

she didn't know any better until i drove the car and said WHAT THEY ACTUAL FFFFFF******CK IS WRONG WITH THIS THING!? She didn't know any better and said it had been like that for some time - Holden didn't say boo.

The unofficial recall period passed and she had no evidence that the box was in that state previously.

Lesson - don't trust the pricks.

mine is getting done next week, will report back see if they can do it without wrecking anything.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
With the new electric Motor added the rack there should be no difference to the way the steering is adjusted. They may add new software which will give it a heavier feel to the wheel as the series 2 had a firmer steering feel.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
they will wilfully ignore some stuff, just ask my sis she was getting her trashbox Cruze serviced at a dealer and the gearbox which was under that extended recall thing (look it up) was ignored every "service".

she didn't know any better until i drove the car and said WHAT THEY ACTUAL FFFFFF******CK IS WRONG WITH THIS THING!? She didn't know any better and said it had been like that for some time - Holden didn't say boo.

The unofficial recall period passed and she had no evidence that the box was in that state previously.

Lesson - don't trust the pricks.

mine is getting done next week, will report back see if they can do it without wrecking anything.
Yep, dealer service guys are forced to be lazy pricks by management not giving them enough time to follow the book in terms of what they are supposed to do - and last I checked, checking for underbody rust is one of them.

But if your sister ever highlighted an issue with the auto gearbox then it should have been looked into and the invariable “no fault found” documented on the service report. If she didn’t tell the dealer or more than likely she told the dealer who didn’t document it, it just makes it a little harder. But the dealer saying “too late” is not the be all and end all though people seem to accept it.

As I understand from very brief search, there was no specific product recall other than some right hand drive shaft replacement (done twice since they replaced part was also faulty - good one Holden).... so it’s probably more an extended service campaign. Regardless, any product sold should be fit for purpose which in the context of an auto gearbox means it should last longer than a hand full of years. And it should work without it hunting for gears and being generally indecisive while making noises and clunks.

The fact your sister thinks it was normal probably bodes well for her case as she’d come to that conclusion almost certainly because she’d have been told by the dealer it’s normal... So, she should get her thoughts together and write down all dates and times that she remembers discussing such gearbox issues with the dealer, even if was just one time early on... (being considered experts, many would simply accept what the dealer service guy says and many wouldn’t question it again) Then she should call give QLD Office Of Fair Trading and discuss here situation before calling HCC. I think the issue should be classified as a major fault under Australian Consumer Law so she gets to choose the remedy which could include a full refund. So be firm in stating the case and in no uncertain terms ask for your choice of remedy for the faulty gearbox. Just to add, see @Ron Burgundy recent post about NZed guy who got a refund due to V8 piston slap.

Don’t let your sister simply accept such crap from Holden, help her rip them a new one...

Here is some light reading ;)

how do i fix my holden cruze auto

and a Hyundai’s about when with one owners sunroof shatter scare.

I’ve also posted extensively about ACL earlier in the sudden loss of power steering thread so maybe worth a re read so you can gather some info to help your sister.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
i looked into it at the time, she had other issues and as such the ammunition for the gearbox would have been limited.

they were swapping them out up to something like 160,000 and 2018 from memory? Either way it was a nightmare for anyone with one of these trashcans.

I was fully prepared to rip into them but the general condition of the vehicle meant to me that I would have been pushing uphill, and it was only after we got the thing towed away that I found out how long it had been acting up as she never said anything. She's not great with cars and her ex had been palming her off when it came to car stuff and even he didn't really take it seriously and i am telling you this gearbox was royally stuffed - so comedy of errors really and i came in at the end of it all.

Bottom line to me though is this - if you think something is wrong - say something. In writing if you can. That way you can get something done.

Oh and avoid auto Cruze's especially the earlier ones they are a time bomb.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
With the new electric Motor added the rack there should be no difference to the way the steering is adjusted. They may add new software which will give it a heavier feel to the wheel as the series 2 had a firmer steering feel.
FYI - our VF1 came back feeling exactly the same after the recall repair about 3 months ago.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
i looked into it at the time, she had other issues and as such the ammunition for the gearbox would have been limited.

they were swapping them out up to something like 160,000 and 2018 from memory? Either way it was a nightmare for anyone with one of these trashcans.
The more minor problems one has that are not fixed or take ages to fix, the better as under ACL, as many minor problems result in the lot being considered a major problem at which point the owner is then legally entitled to a full purchase price refund ;)

The fact most sellers and manufacturers seem to ignore ACL (to their detriment) is a curse but it can be resolved with perseverance :rolleyes:
I was fully prepared to rip into them but the general condition of the vehicle meant to me that I would have been pushing uphill, and it was only after we got the thing towed away that I found out how long it had been acting up as she never said anything. She's not great with cars and her ex had been palming her off when it came to car stuff and even he didn't really take it seriously and i am telling you this gearbox was royally stuffed - so comedy of errors really and i came in at the end of it all.
If she ever mentioned it to service, which is the critical thing, it should have been address in some other way that some verbal “it’s normal for them”. Assuming it was serviced according to the schedule and she had not abusing the car, that behaves in a way she was told was normal, then it’s general poor condition is irrelevant other than being indicative of the fact that what Holden produced and their dealers sold was utter crap and “not of acceptable quality” as ACL would see it.

ACL has a lot to say on such matters. Actions can still be taken as your sister only became aware of the issues when you mentioned it, so don’t consider it over. Once aware of the issue, statute of limitations is something around 7 years so a Administrative tribunal case can still be brought... she may yet get a full refund for the pile of **** she bought all those years ago...

He h, BMW, Toyota and others are involved in vehicle buy back due to Takata airbag issue for vehicles circa mid to early 2000’, which under law could mean full purchase price refund for some owners who push...

Done have her give up yet.
Bottom line to me though is this - if you think something is wrong - say something. In writing if you can. That way you can get something done.

Oh and avoid auto Cruze's especially the earlier ones they are a time bomb.
Yep, good advice :cool:

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon

Nah, this car is in NZ, so would look out of place without a "patina" after 6 years of age. My cars always had a coating of rust due to the climate, especially the British heap of pus sports car and the crappy Mitsubishi I owned for too long.

But more seriously, I agree that it would be worthwhile treating the light surface rust before it becomes a major issue. Maybe some Phosphoric Acid based primer after a light scouring of the affected areas.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Yeah they definitely did that to mine. It feels heavier in normal mode and far heavier in performance mode. I really like it. Not quite as good as the feel of my Motorsport steering, but pretty close.