Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Seized lifter in LS3

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
GM OEM lifters are Johnson or Delphi/AC Delco, I thought hydraulic were made in the US of that era along with the LS3

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VT s2 Exec, VX Calais II L67
The Mexican parts used to be pretty good. The original V6 sensors and gear came from Mexico and were far better than anything aftermarket.

Yup, a lot of the GM stuff came from Mexico back in the day. I think GM as a whole has gone backward in Quality sadly.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yup, a lot of the GM stuff came from Mexico back in the day. I think GM as a whole has gone backward in Quality sadly.

I think when Delphi went belly up was probably the beginnings of poor quality parts and so called OEM.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Lets face it the same lifters used in all the early V6 and early LS and they are still ok 400k on, noisy yes but they didn't take out cams.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Sad to have quality concerns as spare parts are critical to keeping our cars on the road for the longer term. Chinesium quality simply doesn’t bode well for achieving that goal :(

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Sad to have quality concerns as spare parts are critical to keeping our cars on the road for the longer term. Chinesium quality simply doesn’t bode well for achieving that goal :(
GM don't want our cars to be repaired, they'd rather it gets scrapped and we buy a new one. I'd say that's part of the reason why GM parts supplies are so limited compared to other makes, including other US made vehicles.....

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
GM don't want our cars to be repaired, they'd rather it gets scrapped and we buy a new one. I'd say that's part of the reason why GM parts supplies are so limited compared to other makes, including other US made vehicles.....
Yeah I know. The dealer even went as far as to tell me if I want AA/ACP on my VF infotainment system, I should buy a new car :p:mad:

It‘s this consumerist attitude which is the sort of shitfuckery that makes me think all this talk about the environment is just words and excuses for business to rape the public again :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VT s2 Exec, VX Calais II L67
GM OEM lifters are Johnson or Delphi/AC Delco, I thought hydraulic were made in the US of that era along with the LS3

I was under the impression that early LS3's when they were a performance option/upgrade were hand made in the US but when it became a mass produced product the production moved to Mexico.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
There's no shortage of quality aftermarket internals and to be honest I'd only want to build with the Callies, SCAT, Carillo, JE, Brian Tooley, Aeroflow, Melling and Morels of the world, among a bazillion others.... with some Higgins love. Like I have right now. I can't recall the last time I bought OEM aside a sensor. Besides the block and some sensors, there's nothing that isn't available non OE. Even computers and infotainment. Comes down to how much value you put on it

I was under the impression that early LS3's when they were a performance option/upgrade were hand made in the US but when it became a mass produced product the production moved to Mexico.

Who knows. The internet doesn't seem to make any references to it

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Who knows. The internet doesn't seem to make any references to it
GM's Performance Build Center (PBC), in Wixom, Michigan, hand-build the dry-sump LS3 used in manual Corvette Grand Sport coupes, as well as the Z06's LS7 and the ZR1's LS9.

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/vemp-1010-corvette-ls3-engine-build/

GM also had/have? an option where a customer could help in the hand building process of their engine in their new corvette.

https://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm...news/us/en/2015/Jan/0107-corvette-eng-gm.html

I don't know how all that bodes with lifter issues if the underlying parts are the same, though I suspect components with better matched tolerances are used through tighter selection criteria… Us plebs get the leftovers looser tolerance stuff :p