Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Seized lifter in LS3

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VT s2 Exec, VX Calais II L67
All I can figure is something changed somewhere along the line which is a shame. It just saddens me with the attitude from GM/Holden to their customers over the last few years.

Fortunately as mentioned above with the LS been one of the most popular engine platforms in the world there are plenty of quality parts as well as cheap knockoffs but we have options and more fortunately a few of the GM parts cross-over with the Holden motors so we are reasonably well supported.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
There's no shortage of quality aftermarket internals and to be honest I'd only want to build with the Callies, SCAT, Carillo, JE, Brian Tooley, Aeroflow, Melling and Morels. Besides the block and some sensors, there's nothing that isn't available non OE. Even computers and infotainment.
There will be engine parts for many years to come, especially for the LS. There will be tech for many years to come and far better than OEM but if you break an interior plastic part, good luck......

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
We might be able to count on the Chinese for that, they rock at plastic. So far generic bits and a soldering iron have saved me for a lock actuator pivot and rod clip. I think I can 3D print a lot of it too. Glad mines a VY though. Still plastic but much less than a VF. There's always custom trimming but again, what's it worth to you....

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
We might be able to count on the Chinese for that, they rock at plastic.

I guess there is always wreckers, see below as an example. So far the Chinese have not brought out a $100 or even $200 one of these that they could make for $3ea. We are now talking 13 years on and still nothing aftermarket available........ VR are over 25 years old and have plenty of plastic trims, yet nothing available. I agree the Chinese could smash them out and make a killing shipping parts across the world for the VE but they haven't and unlikely will....

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/184862676591?hash=item2b0aac966f:g:cBAAAOSw4Mxgs~ZK

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
And lets face it, if the Chinese were interested in making parts for our Holden's they would have started making window washer reservoirs for VR and VS a long time ago. Currently there is no option at all except SH and unless they have been kept inside they are all pretty much ruined and at the end of life...... So yeah, nah, I don't think they will ever be interested in filling the gap.....

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I'm not suggesting they will directly for Holden but as in my case I only needed something close to modify. I bought a big old bag of clips, odds and sods for 10 bucks and solved two impossible problems for life with a little heat

There's always generic options for things like washer bottles

Reactions: Lex

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Be interesting to see this generic option for the VR and VS? So far I have heard of people trying generic options but they have all ended in failure on the VR/VS. In the end people revert to patching up their factory ones best they can with silicone and once they are unfixable its a trip to the wrecker to try and find something serviceable. If there was a generic option that would work they would sell 100s and we wouldn't have people scratching their heads on what they can make work.

Much like that shifter console, if there was an option for the resi I could sell 100s. The wreckers have shifter consoles walk out the door the same day a VE is on the yard, they move that quick. And my post wasn't about how something can be bodgily patched up it was about China having no interest in making specific parts for Holden other than what is already available.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
It's a bottle with a pump and switch. I'm not sure people are trying very hard. Either way the demand will only ever fall, no one's making millions out of any of it. My point is where there's a will there's a way and it doesn't have to be dodgy if you know what you're doing. Many parts share similarities with others. You only need to look at the thousands of YouTube channels and the incredible work people do to make anything work at a higher quality than OE. You just gotta think outside the box

Last edited:

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
I was under the impression that early LS3's when they were a performance option/upgrade were hand made in the US but when it became a mass produced product the production moved to Mexico.
Yes, that’s the tale the Hand Maid would have you believe:)