Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Series 1 SV6 Timing chain issue

aunto

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore SV6 2007
Hey guys, I have stretched timing chain issue on my 2007 SV6 manual (177k km). The car was still running but underpowered, suddenly last week the car stopped working. I started the car in the morning, heated it up before leaving for work. When i came back home and was about to start the car, the starter motor works (no rattling) but cannot successfully start the car. Does that mean the timing chain already gone or is it the battery? I am scared to jump start, what if it ####s up inside and costs me more to fix?

I got a quote, cheapest i could find in NSW to change the chain kit. $1200 supplied and fitted, which i think is much more cheaper than other places. But if I cannot drive that will cost me more to get it towed.

While chain is done, I want to get the water pump done too (if not supplied with the kit). Is there anything else I should be worried about?

Is there any other mechanic in Sydney who would do it cheaper?

Thanks for your response in advance.

as

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
what makes you sure you have a stretched timing chain/s.....did you get some warning on the dash?

aunto

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore SV6 2007
Yeah i got the p0018 code few months back. Havent been driving much since then wanted to change it during holidays but now that i cant drive it, cant take it to any workshop. Should i try to jump start first? Where do i put the negative cable? Body of the car?

aunto

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore SV6 2007
Hey mate, it turns normal but slows down in the middle... Does the timing chain issue totally stops the cAr? The car was running all good except the power loss, fuel consumtion was good no smoke from exhaust

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
positive red post next to air filter and there is a neg post somewhere cant remember though, if you have to connect to battery make sure you use the leads with an anti spike in the middle of them, (use them for all jumpstarts-shouldn't fry any elec then)

aunto

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore SV6 2007
I will call nrma tomorrow to jump start with their goodies

aunto

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore SV6 2007
Hey guys just a quick update, I called the NRMA and guess what the guy found out. My engine was flooded with fuel as i started the vehicle for 10 seconds and turned it off last time it was working. So all he did was hold the key to start and keep the engine crank until the excess fuel was burned. Then the white smoke and boom car is running. Hahah last time i had this issue was on a carburettor. But yeah saved some money during Christmas.