Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Should i upgrade exhaust? Anyone done the same as me on a V6?

VYPplater

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore 04 series II Executive
My first car(grey V6 3.8L VY executive series 2) is nice but im a little dissapointed on the pick up so i was looking to upgrade the exhaust as i have been told that it is the best bang for buck as far as increased power but i have also read that it will mess with the ECU and i wont get any power maybe even a drop in power? If anyones had any experience or works in the trade of exhausts or whatever could you drop me a line cos i want it done soon.

Extra info: Been quoted between $450 and $550 installed good price?

Also been told 2.5" exhaust is best is this true?

Car is stock excluding 18" rims and stereo

Thanks

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Exhaust probably won't make much of an increase at all. You want bang-for-buck then go some higher ratio rockers.

Rusty

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt with VU/VZ bits
Best bang for buck would be a major service!

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
Yep - exhaust will give you fun from a better note, with a CAI might give you the illusion of more power..

Go for a major service, including gearbox to make it feel good to drive.

Then i'd agree go for some high ratio rockers.

Dethadder VY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec s2 3.8L
I put 2 1/2" from cat back on mine. sounds pretty good. Got it on the dyno before a major service and got steady 175kw readings so slight power increase.

Kingston_99

383ci HTV2300 blown LS1!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS ute STROKED/BLOWN
if you want a nice sound, go 2 1/2inch. i'd get the zorst done then a tune. then some high ratio rockers

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I put 2 1/2" from cat back on mine. sounds pretty good. Got it on the dyno before a major service and got steady 175kw readings so slight power increase.

How did you get 175kw reading? Take engine out and put it on engine dyno?

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
My view, the standard exhaust is good enough and it's made from stainless, why spend that sort of money to make the car noisy and replace something that will last the life of the car with something that will rust out in a few years.
As well as the higher ratio rockers you could consider a heat insulator spacer between the plenum and inlet manifold. I have read that these offer a cost effective performance gain on their own. I'd also be leaving the airbox pretty much as it is and just use stock elements and change them mor eoften if you want to.

one_and_only2004

Turbo L98 FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series Thunder Utility - Turbo

No, just no. 25ish kw from an exhaust?

As well as the higher ratio rockers you could consider a heat insulator spacer between the plenum and inlet manifold. I have read that these offer a cost effective performance gain on their own.

I can back the insulators 100%. You'd be surprised at how much torque you gain from these things.