It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community
Discussion in 'VR - VS' started by sleepa, May 21, 2015.
bloody hell thats shiny. Nice
I do my best
FYI....I'm still house painting. Sealing new plaster walls tomorrow. Happy happy joy joy.
Those handels came up mint.
Cheers they should look good with the chrome window surrounds. It's not perfect, I have some light scratches in it so will probably redo it to make it perfect.
So, I got my engine crane back yesterday and the 5L is now out of the ute and sitting in the garage corner waiting to be cleaned up then it will find it's new home in the wagon.
The V6 is coming out of the wagon right now, then it's going into the ute tomorrow if all goes to plan.
Coming along nicely, just a quick question, have you ever thought about maybe going to the l67 or your just happy with the 5L?
I have thought about the L67 a bit, and wouldn't mind one if I picked up a car with it. I just seem to only find V8s at a decent price, plus I love the sound of them
Well, the wagon's bay is now bare... and the ute has a V6 in it once again.
The ute is mostly finished, just some hoses and stuff like that.
The V8 is going to take a little longer to get in.
I decided that since lots of rubber and plastic connectors are falling apart in the wagons engine bay that I should re-do them all first before the V8 goes in. Also I thought it would be a good idea to change all the gaskets on the 5L before it goes back in too, it's going to be properly degreased and cleaned too. Maybe some paint if I feel like it.
Update and some pics... finally.
So over the weekend I pulled out the 6 from the Wagon, and the 8 from the Ute.
And installed the V6 into the ute. What I didn't take into account was that I had to remove all the LPG gear from the V6 and put all the hoses back to stock. Took longer then I thought.
Now it's all back together but won't start for some reason. I'll sort it out later.
Oh, and I found this out while trying to hook up the V6 to the V8 tailshaft.
Slightly different lengths. V8 tailshaft is a little shorter. Anyone wanting to do this, make sure you use the V8 tailshaft for the V8 engine.
The 5L sitting in the corner waiting to be cleaned up.
I degreased the K-Frame, only spent 2 hours on it with Heavy duty degreaser mixed 1:1, seriously nearly 1cm of gunk all over it. Also cleaned in the rails a little.
Here it is all clean.
Then pulled out the Caprice Front suspension as it's in better condition, and I want the V8 Springs this time. And apparently it had new shocks installed 2 years ago, so should still be nice.
Rotors look good too.
That's where I am now.
Next is to install the V8 Suspension and K-frame into the wagon then clean up the bay, replace hoses, etc and make it all look nice.
Then find a gasket kit and replace all the V8s gaskets, get some new spark plugs, leads and replace anything else that looks dodgy after I give it a real good clean.
And I think I have decided to polish the rocker covers, and maybe intake manifold, and engine covers. I want this thing to look shiny as under the bonnet.
I like shiny things.
You've sure been busy, wish i could say the same lol
I do one little bit at a time and it just snowballs for me. Nice warm weather helps too, and a warm garage.
Speaking of which, I just spent the last 2 hours installing the V8 k-frame and Caprice suspension into the wagon, so another step closer. Checking all the bushes before I change anything over too. So far they are all pretty much brand new so that's nice.
Fixed the ute's no start problem. Was very simple. When they installed the LPG wiring they cut a wire at the DFI Module so I just found it and re-connected it and she runs again.
Runs better then it did in the wagon actually.
Now to do some other stuff with the wagon.
Decided to start polishing the engine covers, Turns out that i have 3 sets of them and 1 looks like someone has attempted to polish them at one point.
I thought that those would be the best base to start with so spent like 3 hours on one.
Turned out ok, i'm not 100% happy with it but maybe it will do.
And a pic of the other one which is unpolished next to it.
Before (other side not polished)
Well, the 5L is in.
Started up first turn of the key, no issues
And while it was out I checked around for a casting marker and there was none so maybe this is actually from a VT Clubsport (as the previous owner of the engine says). Either way, it's in and runs perfect.
Just have to bleed the brakes and power steering and get a new exhaust.
Well, bled the brakes, and steering and tested it out down my long ass driveway (can get up to 50km nearly) all good so up there ^ is a vid for you, nothing exiting, just idling.
I also did this.
They are not gonna be perfect but not too bad, pain in the arse to polish though, thin as.
Drivers side in before condition for comparison.
i want them.
Lol. I'd sell them to you but I only have 1 set
And picking up a new exhaust system tomorrow, super exited about it, it might be a little overkill but should sound awesome :rockon:
Um.. Double post so...
My air con line broke on me today so I had to replace the entire thing, not easy. And chucked in a power steering cooler while I was at it.
Picked up this today for a good price. Pacemaker extractors, 2 1/2 inch true dual pipes.. Off a VS ute so Probably needs a little work to fit the wagon but should sound alright if it does.
It obviously had a H pipe at some point but has been welded up. Also needs some new tips, maybe dumped 3 inch out either side of the rear bumper.
Separate names with a comma.