Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Snow Chains at the North Pole Safety Alert. !!!!!!

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Yes - absolutely.

Not the popular, preferred online consensus but is moot - when would you use them? In your backyard?!
My concern is driving 50-100km per day over various alpine road surfaces with socks stretched over the tyres. I can't imagine how they'd last for long with a bit of inevitable 400hp wheelspin and two tonne downforce on crappy gravelly roads.
Even if they provided the traction of chains or studded tyres I doubt they'd last a day, CBF changing socks all the time.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Not the popular, preferred online consensus but is moot - when would you use them? In your backyard?!
My concern is driving 50-100km per day over various alpine road surfaces with socks stretched over the tyres. I can't imagine how they'd last for long with a bit of inevitable 400hp wheelspin and two tonne downforce on crappy gravelly roads.
Even if they provided the traction of chains or studded tyres I doubt they'd last a day, CBF changing socks all the time.

I use them in both the NSW and Vic alps without incident. They can handle wear VERY well and people in Europe have reported forgetting to take them off and hitting 80 - 100 kph and still not having wear issues.

It's important to realise that nowhere in Australia are road conditions ever bad enough to fit chains over the top of winter tyres. Not that people fit winter tyres in Australia but if they did they wouldn't need chains. In fact good winter tyres these days are as good as chains over tyres. The snow socks provide as good or a bit better performance as good winter tyres and that's more than enough in Australia for two and four wheel drive cars.

I still carry chains though - archaic legal requirement and all.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
I use them in both the NSW and Vic alps without incident. They can handle wear VERY well and people in Europe have reported forgetting to take them off and hitting 80 - 100 kph and still not having wear issues.

Oh I see on top of winter tyres, agree prolly don't need it yet worth having.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Oh I see on top of winter tyres, agree prolly don't need it yet worth having.

No - they're instead of winter tyres.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I live in snow country dude. Most of what you just wrote is crap. Socks will **** in a couple of kms of asphalt. We also have plenty of roads that need chains (or similar) in winter. Meet me at Jindi and I'll show you.

Husky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII L67 Berlina Wagon and VEIISSV M6 Sportswagon
Back in my day "munt" or being "munted" used to to refer to some one who was extremely high on ecstasy.

In the emergency department we often refer to someone who is extremely drunk as being munted.

Oh how times change.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
I live in snow country dude. Most of what you just wrote is crap. Socks will **** in a couple of kms of asphalt. We also have plenty of roads that need chains (or similar) in winter. Meet me at Jindi and I'll show you.

Having lived in Europe in winter (Norway and Austria), as well as Canberra and spent much time in Jindabyne (assuming that's what you mean by "Jindi") and Khancoban I can assure you that Australian winter conditions would never warrant snow chains in Europe where they use (by law) winter tyres. Any cleared road (so not counting the Kosciusko Rd from Perisher to Charlotte Pass for example) in Australia would pose no problems for winter tyres (if we had them) and poses no problem for snow socks.

And regarding the Kosciusko Rd from Perisher to Charlotte Pass, it's not cleared because of the novelty and charm of Charlotte Pass maintaining it's "snowbound village" status - which I quite like. :) I'm certainly not saying you could drive there! Although it wouldn't be hard to clear it, and keep it clear all winter. It'd be considered a main road for some towns in Europe! :D

Last edited:

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Chains =teh loser

Studs for the win

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
Taxi wuvs studs ;)

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
Having lived in Europe in winter (Norway and Austria), as well as Canberra and spent much time in Jindabyne (assuming that's what you mean by "Jindi") and Khancoban I can assure you that Australian winter conditions would never warrant snow chains in Europe where they use (by law) winter tyres. Any cleared road (so not counting the Kosciusko Rd from Perisher to Charlotte Pass for example) in Australia would pose no problems for winter tyres (if we had them) and poses no problem for snow socks.
And regarding the Kosciusko Rd from Perisher to Charlotte Pass, it's not cleared because of the novelty and charm of Charlotte Pass maintaining it's "snowbound village" status - which I quite like. :) I'm certainly not saying you could drive there!

Good to see nothing changes in here. The usual know it alls posting garbage. Snow soxs are not legal in aust because they've been deemed unsafe for aust conditions. End of story. I'd like to see the look on the face of the tyre dealer if you went and asked for winter tyres to be fitted here. As for your claim if living in Europe, cool story. Conditions are completely different here. When's the last it you saw anyone salting roads in aust?