Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SS LS3 vs R8 LS3

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
I'd say an L77 with exhaust including headers, a cai and tune would typically be 310 to 325fwkw.
A setup for max HP (at top RPM) - like it would seem everyone wants - can manage SV340 easily, unopened. Keeping with HSV parlance the most power out of these engines without changing cam is SV340 +30-37 or HSV 37x. All motors same cam, bolt-ons there's less than dyno error in it to measure any difference.
It's the next step that's a doozy, from 37x to 40x. Most people think it gets too hairy tweaking the tune using just a cam and sure lots of places sacrifice too much for the track without proper engineering for the street. But bolting another motor on top of a perfectly good one (just needs some tuning), is a drastic and expensive step, in the wrong direction.
See coz Supercharged and costs heaps LSA mod is sold as the sexy option. When in fact a cam can take this motor well past mild LSA 400-430 with bolt-ons, lots of simple alternatives naturally aspirated from 37x to 45x that still have good manners.
In HSV parlance, my NA build with trick pistons, e85 and cam phasing is 476 kW, same as W1. It however is not an HSV so badge is 470 (SAE 1349):
IMG_1475.jpg

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
A setup for max HP (at top RPM) - like it would seem everyone wants - can manage SV340 easily, unopened. Keeping with HSV parlance the most power out of these engines without changing cam is SV340 +30-37 or HSV 37x. All motors same cam, bolt-ons there's less than dyno error in it to measure any difference.
It's the next step that's a doozy, from 37x to 40x. Most people think it gets too hairy tweaking the tune using just a cam and sure lots of places sacrifice too much for the track without proper engineering for the street.
In fact a cam can take this motor well past mild LSA 400-430 with bolt-ons, lots of simple alternatives naturally aspirated from 37x to 45x that still have good manners.
In HSV parlance, my NA build with trick pistons, e85 and cam phasing is 476 kW, same as W1. It however is not an HSV so badge is 470 (SAE 1349):
View attachment 192282
Yes, I agree. Mine is approx equal to a 340, with bolt on bits and tune. Exhaust is all HSV apart from the 200cpi cats. The CAI would add a bit. But main differences are tune, cats and OTR. I'm pleased I saved the $3k or so over the W310 pack offered at that time. Mine makes more torque, more power, sounds better, still has AFM and cost about $2k. This is why I'll be taking the same approach with my MSE. It's mainly OEM parts, is cheap and gets as good or better results than W or Techno whom both charge through the nose.
What do you mean by 37x 40x etc?

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Yes, I agree. Mine is approx equal to a 340, with bolt on bits and tune. Exhaust is all HSV apart from the 200cpi cats. The CAI would add a bit. But main differences are tune, cats and OTR. I'm pleased I saved the $3k or so over the W310 pack offered at that time. Mine makes more torque, more power, sounds better, still has AFM and cost about $2k. This is why I'll be taking the same approach with my MSE. It's mainly OEM parts, is cheap and gets as good or better results than W or Techno whom both charge through the nose.
What do you mean by 37x 40x etc?
In the range of 370's like 371-379, and in the range of 400's like 400-409 :confused:
Oh yeah, VVT is OEM BTW so maybe on the cards?:D

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
In the range of 370's like 371-379, and in the range of 400's like 400-409 :confused:
Oh yeah, VVT is OEM BTW so maybe on the cards?:D
Thought so. Just checking it wasn't some HSV code or something.
VVT. Hmmm, maybe. But, as it'll be the Wife's car I'm reluctant to give her that much grunt, and the power edge over my modded MSE!;) Furl economy gains weould be good though.
I'm a massive fan of these L77's. Such an awesome motor!

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Thought so. Just checking it wasn't some HSV code or something.
VVT. Hmmm, maybe. But, as it'll be the Wife's car I'm reluctant to give her that much grunt, and the power edge over my modded MSE!;) Furl economy gains weould be good though.
I'm a massive fan of these L77's. Such an awesome motor!
I think there is no problem with LS3 with engineered install btw

PeteSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SSV Redline
Reminds me of the HDT cars in the '80's. Brock would quote 177kw or 188kw for his dungers (depending on which magazine you read), when in actual fact they were closer to 136kw or thereabouts.

With the HSV cars, wouldn't they suffer a bit more drive train loss through having different gearbox and diff to the SS ? My mate's LSA GTS was dyno'ed at 300rwkw prior to being modded. Sounds a bit low, but it would've still annihilated some N/A cammed cars that were quoting higher dyno figures.

Redline 2017

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF 2 SSV REDLINE
I would be very interested to see if anyone has had a CAI and tune done on a VF2 LS3, but retained stock exhaust, I am hearing (more and more) that the standard exhaust on the VF2 LS3 is good for around 360 + kW, of course with no drone or fit/rust issues of some after market systems after a year or 2....just curious

shadow69

Reaction score
Members Ride
magnum on order
I would be very interested to see if anyone has had a CAI and tune done on a VF2 LS3, but retained stock exhaust, I am hearing (more and more) that the standard exhaust on the VF2 LS3 is good for around 360 + kW, of course with no drone or fit/rust issues of some after market systems after a year or 2....just curious
i to would love an answer to this. !st thing is a cai and tune but just waiting for my nagnum ute to be delivered end of july or early august.

arronm

Reaction score
Members Ride
FPV F6 VF Redline WGN
It's the next step that's a doozy, from 37x to 40x. Most people think it gets too hairy tweaking the tune using just a cam and sure lots of places sacrifice too much for the track without proper engineering for the street. But bolting another motor on top of a perfectly good one (just needs some tuning), is a drastic and expensive step, in the wrong direction.
See coz Supercharged and costs heaps LSA mod is sold as the sexy option. When in fact a cam can take this motor well past mild LSA 400-430 with bolt-ons, lots of simple alternatives naturally aspirated from 37x to 45x that still have good manners.
View attachment 192282

Supercharger is SO last week. Single or twin turbo is the go. If I mod my redline it will be turbo. Supercharger just robs power. But at the moment 250rwkw is great for a daily. That combined with a diff change from 2.92 to 3.45 transformes the car. Just slightly more power than a 340kw clubby.

Nothing like the HIT of a turbo.......

Last edited:

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
Hit of turbo in a 4wd is the win!

Hit of turbo in 6.2l rwd.... off in the bushes you go!

Supercharger is SO last week. Single or twin turbo is the go. If I mod my redline it will be turbo. Supercharger just robs power. But at the moment 250rwkw is great for a daily. That combined with a diff change from 2.92 to 3.45 transformes the car. Just slightly more power than a 340kw clubby.

Nothing like the HIT of a turbo.......