Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF calais

Ryan83

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 SERIES 1
Hi,

I’m not a car guy.

But I’m thinking of buying a VF v8 Calais. I’ve heard the s2 stock is faster than the s1 because it has a ls3 engine.

Can someone elaborate on the difference between the s2 and s1 engines and tell me if it’s worth the extra 10k on average.

Thanks

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
From a reliability POV, it seems to be 6 of one vs half-dozen of the other; although the problems that materialise with the S1 6.0 (valvetrain issues with the ability to disable half the cylinders which the S2 can’t do) appear with age/use, whereas if the S2 6.3 is good now then it’s probably fine (piston slap).
For an S2, be wary if the seller has warmed it up before you see it.

The power difference is mostly engine tune (camshaft), but the extra 0.3L makes a tiny difference.

There will be other differences such as trim options, colours, alloy wheel design, I think they may have changed diff ratios; but the engine is probably the biggest difference for Calais.

If I were you I’d drive the two to compare, see if you want to pay the extra money. Despite only having around a 10% power increase, the S2 apparently feels a bigger increment more powerful in driving around. Also, and this is just my opinion with no backup/proof, but I believe that when the time comes to sell you’ll easily make back the extra cash you spent on the S2, as the LS3 is the one everyone wants.

Jeda

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V
Hi,

I’m not a car guy.

But I’m thinking of buying a VF v8 Calais. I’ve heard the s2 stock is faster than the s1 because it has a ls3 engine.

Can someone elaborate on the difference between the s2 and s1 engines and tell me if it’s worth the extra 10k on average.

Thanks

I had the 6.2L LS3 in my 09 R8 and loved it. I have the L77 6.0L in my daily.

Both are good engines if they're maintained properly.
Is it worth the extra $10k for the 6.2? That's your call.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
The L77's are hampered by a tall final drive ratio.

NJD-1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF-S2 SV6 Commodore
The L77's are hampered by a tall final drive ratio.

I think this is the biggest bummer for the S1's Calais, 2.92 vs 3.27 Ratio.

S1 Holden was still trying for Fuel economy, S2 with the end near, they basically threw economy out the window and went for performance. If you took the 10K, invested it into a new Diff for the S1 and some additional performance upgrades you arguably have better performance than S2

Martbar

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF Series 2 SSV Redline.
When did they start putting LS motors in the Calais?
My VE Calais was advertised as having a LS2 and it was about a year later, thanks to Forum members l found out that it was a L76.

Martbar

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF Series 2 SSV Redline.
Cheers mate Trademe was advertising an earlier model Calaisv with a LS1 and l thought that it must have been a typo.
So many variants.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Cheers mate Trademe was advertising an earlier model Calaisv with a LS1 and l thought that it must have been a typo.
So many variants.

I expect a Calais V would be no older than VE which would be a 6.0 of some describe.

LS1 was 5.7 and stopped at VZ.

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Calais V 6.0 | 2013 VF Calais V V6 Wagon
I have the series 1 Calais.

I would buy the series 1, change the camshaft, lifters etc. tune and otr, and full exhaust with 3.45 diff.

You should go close to all that for $10k, and power wise it will absolutely smoke a series 2.

I have done this, and make in the low 300 rear wheel kilowatt range with a shorter diff gearing.

Pulls like a freight train, and is reliable