Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

SSV Head unit

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Far as I know they're quite similar. There's a company in Korea or China (I forget which) that makes various boxes. One acts as a touch screen controller, the other works as the carp play part.

the one from kayhan is different to the other ones that require 2 boxes, the kayhan one is 1 box and according to their documentation all steering wheel(next track etc) and touch screen functions work.
the kayhan one only adds carplay/android auto it does not add the android operating system or the ability to install apps to the box and it does not add a navigation app to the box.

the kayhan unit could be total rubbish or it could be good, we just dont know until someone gets one and writes a review not biased by kayhan offering them products/money for positive reviews(yes kayhan does this)

a bit of info about AA/CP for anyone that is not familiar with it...

with android auto/car play everything will run off the projected device(phone) so while the phone is connected you will be able to use apps that are on the phone and are designed for android auto or car play.
only approved apps will work so it is not like having the operating system installed but most of the navigation and music apps are approved by google and apple.
you can get wired and wireless versions of AA/CP and if you do not want to plug your phone in every time you want to use AA/CP you should look for the wireless option.

if you are looking for video playback then AA/CP is not what you are looking for because apple and google tend to block those apps

there are ways around the blocks in android, it took me a few hours of coding to get my media player to display video in android auto.
i dont know if it is the same with car play.

mp.jpg

yt.jpg

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
the one from kayhan is different to the other ones that require 2 boxes, the kayhan one is 1 box and according to their documentation all steering wheel(next track etc) and touch screen functions work.
the kayhan one only adds carplay/android auto it does not add the android operating system or the ability to install apps to the box and it does not add a navigation app to the box.

the kayhan unit could be total rubbish or it could be good, we just dont know until someone gets one and writes a review not biased by kayhan offering them products/money for positive reviews(yes kayhan does this)

a bit of info about AA/CP for anyone that is not familiar with it...

with android auto/car play everything will run off the projected device(phone) so while the phone is connected you will be able to use apps that are on the phone and are designed for android auto or car play.
only approved apps will work so it is not like having the operating system installed but most of the navigation and music apps are approved by google and apple.
you can get wired and wireless versions of AA/CP and if you do not want to plug your phone in every time you want to use AA/CP you should look for the wireless option.

if you are looking for video playback then AA/CP is not what you are looking for because apple and google tend to block those apps

there are ways around the blocks in android, it took me a few hours of coding to get my media player to display video in android auto.
i dont know if it is the same with car play.

mp.jpg

yt.jpg
As far as i know only carplay can offer true wireless where you can use the touchscreen to control the unit i think android can only offer mirror which means you can only use your phone to navigate your apps . Only the newest , if any , head units can offer true android wireless .
As far as video it can be done with an after market system but it will come at a price ie park assist and stuff wont work correctly , by not connecting the speed and hand brake wire's , I have an after market Alpine system that will play video as long as it thinks the car is stopped , i could be wrong though , @stooge know's far more than me regarding this stuff

EDIT: I am following an Indiegogo Wireless Android Auto Project that is working on wireless Android Auto with Android phones on Android Auto enabled head units and should be available after March

Last edited:

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
As far as i know only carplay can offer true wireless where you can use the touchscreen to control the unit i think android can only offer mirror which means you can only use your phone to navigate your apps . Only the newest , if any , head units can offer true android wireless .
As far as video it can be done with an after market system but it will come at a price ie park assist and stuff wont work correctly , by not connecting the speed and hand brake wire's , I have an after market Alpine system that will play video as long as it thinks the car is stopped , i could be wrong though , @stooge know's far more than me regarding this stuff

EDIT: I am following an Indiegogo Wireless Android Auto Project that is working on wireless Android Auto with Android phones on Android Auto enabled head units and should be available after March

android auto "wireless" has been a feature on select phones with full touch support since android 9 but with the recent android 11 release any phone will have the ability to do it.
you are correct about the head unit though as that must support AA wireless and the same goes for carplay wireless support.

aftermarket kits could be updated to support wireless but oem vehicle headunits might not have the ability to do that as they might lack the connection hardware necessary.

according to kayhans facebook page their kit supports both AA/CP wireless

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
android auto "wireless" has been a feature on select phones with full touch support since android 9 but with the recent android 11 release any phone will have the ability to do it.
you are correct about the head unit though as that must support AA wireless and the same goes for carplay wireless support.

aftermarket kits could be updated to support wireless but oem vehicle headunits might not have the ability to do that as they might lack the connection hardware necessary.

according to kayhans facebook page their kit supports both AA/CP wireless

Hi , yes i am aware of the Head unit server on Android phones , but there are very few oem head units that do offer true wireless AA .
I still cant see anything in the Kayhan unit that specifies true wireless AA other than "mirror" , it only shows instructions for Carplay and IPhones regarding wireless .
My Alpine and the Kenwood in the other car will allow wireless "mirror" but you still have to use your phone to navigate the functions .
My apologies if i've missed it some where , i didn't click the utube link

SSVREDLINE2014

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
I wonder if you can use the box from a ZB Insignia and make it work on the VF? Hmmm

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Hi , yes i am aware of the Head unit server on Android phones , but there are very few oem head units that do offer true wireless AA .
I still cant see anything in the Kayhan unit that specifies true wireless AA other than "mirror" , it only shows instructions for Carplay and IPhones regarding wireless .

the "mirror" you are thinking of is "mirrorlink" not "android auto" and they are 2 totally different things.

mirrorlink was pretty much dead in the water in 2016 because of its limitations and with google releasing wired AA in 2015 many vehicle manufacturers made the move to wired AA in 2016/2017.

the reason you dont see many head units with AA wireless is because it was implemented in android 9 which was released mid 2018 so anything that was manufactured before that is not going to have it.
if you compound that with AA wireless only initially being on select devices there was less interest for vehicle manufacturers to include it but with android 10 including more devices and now android 11 opening it up to all devices you will now start to see it in new vehicles.
there has also been work in backwards compatibility to support older versions of android but i dont know how well that is going and as far as i know if your head unit does not have wifi AA wireless will not work on it.

kayhan could be using the old mirrorlink but they could also just be using AA wireless.

here is a video of a 2021 honda that has oem wireless AA

tommy_z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Director
The Kayhan unit is of particular interest to myself and I’m sure many of us here but going by the inconsistent promises they’ve given in their comments on that post along with private messaging, give them a miss until feedback is provided. The owners make themselves very dodgy with their inconsistency.

If you notice their installation video, they said that their unit works with the USB in the centre console however the actual port for the USB is a hole you need to cut in the glove box. So already they are just falsely providing information. It’s also not plug and play if you need to cut foam off the top of the glove box. Also not very secure installation in the hope that by jamming it between the glove box and the underside of the dash that it will hold the Kayhan box in place.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VF (Chevy SS)
Yeah, they released the "full replacement" version a year ago (2 years maybe?) in the US and it was... Not good.

They claimed 100% fine, but it didn't work with the heated/ventilated seats the SS has or the factory stereo amp and stuff. Turns out they never tested their gear on a US spec car and didn't do research to find out the little differences. Ended up being a hassle trying to return the units and some owners on this side got stiffed with them.

I really want to believe this new one will be good and deliver, but based on my experience with them I don't think it will work as well as they claim. Might contact them and see if they'd be interested in shipping one over to me so I can do some exhaustive testing (I do Quality Assurance as a career) for a discounted unit. I'll pay if it works and I can confirm things for other users over here.

16HeronSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Heron white VFII
I’m in the US and have a Vf2 and would’ve bought the alpine unit if it would work with our cars. Although seeing that new kayhan audio setup looks promising if it all works with the left hand drive versions.

ocka02

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV 16 Redline
I would keep away from the Kayhan unit, no decent installer will touch them as they don't last. Alpine has one the intergenerats with the VF, I am waiting on a unit from Kenwood that will do all that you want with a connecting box, it is out in the USA but not here yet because of the virus. It is also cheaper than the Alpine.