Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Startup Noise Problem with Holden VT Commodore V6 - 1999

D

devilly

only one i forgot to say that you don't spray is the alternator,rule of thumb is nothing wet near alternator, sorry need a coffee.

and yes you are 100% correct in saying that :) because if the noise goes away then it's not inside the block it self :) but it also bypasses all the pulleys as well.

the tension on the belt looks really funny from tensioner to power steering pump up to alternator area.

its could be the alternator heres my video when it happened to me http://youtu.be/wPvC7tk6Fo0

swapped it out noise went away

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
The bearings are sealed, so the wd40 idea won't do anything. Pulling the belt off and starting it is the quickest and easiest way to diagnose.

I've never understood the WD40 idea, as you say all the bearings are sealed.

Remove the belt and give everything a spin, anything that sounds rough or spins too freely OR has any movement in it will be on the culprit list..... Be warned though, once one goes there's a good chance that there will be more on their way out/worn.

D

devilly

yes bearings are sealed.
but on a skateboard with sealed bearings cruising down the road picking up dust and stuff.you can get a high pitch noise coming from the wheels.

so a spray and spin of the wheel no more noise.

i watched this video 10 times and also noticed that the fluid level on the power steering bottle may be needed to be topped up to the cold line.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
yes bearings are sealed.
but on a skateboard with sealed bearings cruising down the road picking up dust and stuff.you can get a high pitch noise coming from the wheels.

i watched this video 10 times and also noticed that the fluid level on the power steering bottle may be needed to be topped up to the cold line.

I'm yet to watch it, maybe worn power steering pump too?

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
yes bearings are sealed.

W.T.F

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
yes bearings are sealed.

They're shielded bearings, not sealed bearings. They're a little different.

billythakid

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx II Executive
Probably more to do with abit of lubricating the area between bearing and truck axle that stops the skatey squeals

VTS5

TechJunkie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE OMEGA 3.6L Dual Fuel
Sounds like a water pump's bearing.Take the belt off and try to move/wiggle water pumps pulley..