Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Steering twitchy when cornering at speed

Khabel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-V
I'm running SSSL springs with Monroe Sport GT shocks on 20x35x245 wheels and if I corner the steering feels very twitchy, its even worse if there is a bump mid-corner. A lot of people recommend sway bars as a worth while upgrade, will this solve my problem?

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
you should have started with the sway bars if handling was the goal.

SSSL springs will have almost no give and you actually need some if you want bumps absorbed, that combined with super low profile tyres and yeah it's gonna be twitchy.

sway bars to reduce roll - you should start here and most people end here especially when they ask about handling.

strut braces help with handling as well, but if you've done a swaybar benefits are generally minimal.

springs to absorb bumps

shocks to absorb bounce back.

low profile tyres remove some bump absorption too.

Khabel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-V
Thanks, the springs and wheels were already on the car and I recently added the shocks. The suspension doesn't feel stiff when hitting bumps in a straight line, I would actually prefer it to be stiffer

SV6GUY

Reaction score
Members Ride
MANUAL VE SV6 S2
Thanks, the springs and wheels were already on the car and I recently added the shocks. The suspension doesn't feel stiff when hitting bumps in a straight line, I would actually prefer it to be stiffer

Few things you can do.

- High quality shocks with better dampening, compression and rebound will help a lot!
- A rear toe lock kit will greatly reduce bump steer
- Tyres are incredibly important in maintaining traction, that should be a given, and low profile tyres do not help
- Sway bars will provide a huge improvement over stock/lowered handling, not sure how it will positively affect bump steer
- Make sure your wheel alignment looks good