Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Steering wheel removal, stuck

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
If you have an harmonic balancer puller that would probably do the job, just need to get the right size bolts and a few washers to suit.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Interesting note in relation to your problem in the Holden Service Manual:

Important:
When reinstalling the steering wheel, do not over tighten the retaining nut. If this happens, the steering wheel hub will be spread and forced down the steering shaft. This will cause the steering wheel to foul the steering column covers, affect horn operation and possibly cause the self-cancelling feature of the turn indicators to be inoperative. Once distorted, the steering wheel must be replaced.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If you have an harmonic balancer puller that would probably do the job, just need to get the right size bolts and a few washers to suit.
I don't have one of those either. I looked at buying a Dayco multiple balancer one but since it wouldn't work on a VR I never bothered. I'll buy a Toldeo kit in the next few weeks..

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Interesting note in relation to your problem in the Holden Service Manual:

Important:
When reinstalling the steering wheel, do not over tighten the retaining nut. If this happens, the steering wheel hub will be spread and forced down the steering shaft. This will cause the steering wheel to foul the steering column covers, affect horn operation and possibly cause the self-cancelling feature of the turn indicators to be inoperative. Once distorted, the steering wheel must be replaced.
This would explain it. They are asking a shitload for a SH replacement almost $500. I may be able to cut two or three thin strips of shim paper and hold them in place with grease, while I tighten it down.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Your mechanic must of used a impact wrench. Go back and ask him to pay for the new steering wheel.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Your mechanic must of used a impact wrench. Go back and ask him to pay for the new steering wheel.
He won't touch it now I have played with it. Plus i seriously can't see him shelling out 500 bucks to replace my wheel. Besides if I don't get the ute mob I can't get to work next week.
I have now run into another problem anyway. The column bearing housing is different to a floor shift, even though I was told they are the same.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Again I have to agree with Trev, ...........wow ! .................... I also was going to say your mechanic used a rattle gun and furked it.

I hate these wankers that rattle gun everything in sight. How many wheel studs have I come across that are stretched due to too many "dugga dugga's".

Everything with a bit of feel I always say.

Did you want me to have a look on Monday at UPI for the correct upper bearing housing ?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Did you want me to have a look on Monday at UPI for the correct upper bearing housing ?
Yeah I've had mechanic before use a rattle gun on a trans mount on the Jeep. Idiot stripped the thread in the alloy and had to put a nut on the inside to hold the bolt.
I have it sorted now thanks VSL. I had to trim it away with the angle grinder and a thin cirf blade. I had it where I thought I was right but it was still hitting on the NSS. After the drama getting the housing on and the circlip going flying, I did the final minor trim with it in place. But I hit the ignition switch plug and now have a slightly exposed lug, which I need to fill with some RTV, I just need to buy some, lol.
I honestly think you will struggle to find the right one. It's really looking like it could be VR column specific like I first suspected a few days ago. What I do know that it's specific to any column auto that has the NSS on the column, and not all column shifts do I don't think?