Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stinger GT vs SSV Redline 0-100 & 1/4 Mile

Adza75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline
I don't care... good on Kia! The fact is this will live on now past the Commodore as we know it.
However... I bet if we look at mods and what you could do with the car I'd be able to get much more out of my LS3 than out of the twin turbo 6.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Wow, goes like a scalded cat! You had that thing down the quarter? Reckon you'd cut a decent 60 footer. I'd need some sticky rubber to get away like that haha ( ET Streets are on the way) need those 17" wheels though
Haha that’s a rare first gear dig with a fair bit of weight in the back, if you look closely the trick is brake off, roll forward about a metre and a half, a bit gradual to WOT, 6300 shift ;)
I dunno if you can do something like a 1/2 rolling start (take a run up) at the strip, but technically is more like 6-116kph in 3.8 seconds. Once 99% of inertia has disappeared doesn’t matter about traction, just delivery.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I don't care... good on Kia! The fact is this will live on now past the Commodore as we know it.
However... I bet if we look at mods and what you could do with the car I'd be able to get much more out of my LS3 than out of the twin turbo 6.

Tell that to the Nissan owners.

You hear of some fire breathing twin turbo sixes.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Here is some key information, make of it what you will:
Race driver Randy Pobst lap times around streets of willow racetrack as tested for MotorTrend are;

Chevy SS 1:25.71

Stinger 1:28.9

That is a very big time difference. Either the stinger handles like a pig, or caradvice has massaged the stinger times, or both. You decide.
American suspension tune, not necessarily relevant to Australia and lap-times certainly can’t be extrapolated from a 0.4s difference over the quarter in a 13-ish second run

BUT

every comment from every journo who’s driven a Stinger here has said it’s not as good a handler nor involving a drive as a VF. I don’t understand how this thread is so full of “that’s just journalist lies” in the one instance a Stinger is deemed to beat an SS at something, yet every time the SS is proclaimed better it’s head-nodding & “oh yes that’s accurate” all ‘round ...

Not aimed at you, Harli, just a general comment.

Adza75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline

As you do V8's too. But yet to see how much the Kia has left in it.

dessy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII SSV Redline Sedan & 2014 VW Golf R

I agree. I bounce between owning turbo 4s and V8s. As a general rule it is easier and cheaper to get a significant power increase from a factory turbo performace car then a NA V8. I am talking about the initial 30-50% increase from stock. XR6 turbo is a good example.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
K20 TT holds lead in open class over LS TT at Pikes Peak. Both legendary TT at the bleeding edge, no holds barred.
I’d put the HFV6 TT in that rare league of performance too. Time will tell whether this Lambda II TT is as good, one hella way to go from here.

Harli

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Redline
American suspension tune, not necessarily relevant to Australia and lap-times certainly can’t be extrapolated from a 0.4s difference over the quarter in a 13-ish second run

BUT

every comment from every journo who’s driven a Stinger here has said it’s not as good a handler nor involving a drive as a VF. I don’t understand how this thread is so full of “that’s just journalist lies” in the one instance a Stinger is deemed to beat an SS at something, yet every time the SS is proclaimed better it’s head-nodding & “oh yes that’s accurate” all ‘round ...

Not aimed at you, Harli, just a general comment.

I like the idea of the Stinger and hope it does well. Affordable fast sedan is something that interests me and I hope that niche can survive. The issue is that caradvice is quoting times no one else has achieved by quite a significant margin. I have yet to see a sub 13 second quarter mile for the Stinger for any of the other journos. On the topic of MotorTrend, they achieved 13.3 seconds.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Can't really hear much of a pause in the change @1:20 to me monstar?

But if he only revved it to 5300rpm WTF was he thinking?
Yeah nah is 1:22, not the 1-2 gear shift that’s normal. It’s the 2-3 gear shift that does not carry the RPM or torque on full engage.

duaned

Reaction score
Members Ride
M6 Red Hot MSE
Now let them try the comparision with a real Commodore LS3, one with a stick!

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Speed data VFII from HUD zoomed in on retina desktop monitor, same zooming on tacho of the KIA. Not that I'm obsessed or anything :rolleyes:
The other infographic is media I've used to explain stuff (mainly to you:p) before, is all here.
One man's obsession is another man's Kia. Christ I'm tired of hearing about this twin turboed shitbox. I couldn't give a flying fukc how fast it is. If I was interested in that crap I'd join other forums. But, that's just my opinion and I support others liberty, to have the freedom of speech to discuss it. So carry on if you must. It's just not a car that I have the slightest iota of interest in. Rice pudding is just a cheap desert.

Last edited: